Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

10R60 blown, trying to find some answers over replacement

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hello all. So I've recently purchased a 2020 ST in which the transmission has failed. It went from hard shifts to slipping in neutral, I pulled the dip stick and the fluid is majorly burnt. I have a local shop who has quoted me $5700 to replace with a reman unit. Apparently parts to rebuild are on backorder (valve body, etc). I asked him if I could source a salvaged trans to replace instead, he said he was willing to try it, however he was unsure if the new trans would play nicely with the existing TCU, like they're mated together essentially. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is even an issue? I want to say it shouldn't be but that's also pure assumption.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST (AWD)
Hey there - can't answer your question. However, if you're willing to ship your car down to Florida the boys over at RCA Racing are known rebuilding 10r60 for a bit less than what you were quoted. You'll have to consider transport fees, just a thought. BTW RSA Racing is known for building pretty mean trannies for both 10R60 and 10R80 also they're home of the fastest Explorer ST.

https://rsarace.com/products/stage-1-10r60-customer-supplied-core

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Hello all. So I've recently purchased a 2020 ST in which the transmission has failed. It went from hard shifts to slipping in neutral, I pulled the dip stick and the fluid is majorly burnt. I have a local shop who has quoted me $5700 to replace with a reman unit. Apparently parts to rebuild are on backorder (valve body, etc). I asked him if I could source a salvaged trans to replace instead, he said he was willing to try it, however he was unsure if the new trans would play nicely with the existing TCU, like they're mated together essentially. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is even an issue? I want to say it shouldn't be but that's also pure assumption.
As long as it is out of an ST or Platinum or King Ranch everything should work up fine.

OP
H
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Thanks all for your responses. I like the idea of sending it off, however I do need it back up and running ASAP. If I can count on a salvage trans pairing up with the existing TCU, that's likely the direction I'll go.

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I was quoted $5,900 to replace with a new one! They are only about $2,500 new. Transmission

Explorer ST Posts