Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Tires Worn Already?

Bruck

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hi there...Just took my rig in for my 3rd oil change and tire rotation. They told me that the tires should not be rotated because I have more thread in the front than the back and I should leave it for winter. Confused....I only have 18k on this vehicle. Do you think I need new tires already???

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hi there...Just took my rig in for my 3rd oil change and tire rotation. They told me that the tires should not be rotated because I have more thread in the front than the back and I should leave it for winter. Confused....I only have 18k on this vehicle. Do you think I need new tires already???
No but you should rotate them every 8-10k miles for optimum even wear. In normal driving the rears do most of the work hence the higher wear on the rears. The new rears will catch up to the wear in about 18k miles,especially

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bruck

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
No but you should rotate them every 8-10k miles for optimum even wear. In normal driving the rears do most of the work hence the higher wear on the rears. The new rears will catch up to the wear in about 18k miles,especially

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you! Any sense for the point where new tires are needed? I want to say that they said something like 7/32 in the front and 5/32 in the back. I need to verify that when I pick up the vehicle. Man. The new tires are pricey too.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
No. Wow what an idiotic dealer. That’s why you rotate tires, so you can get equal wear.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thank you! Any sense for the point where new tires are needed? I want to say that they said something like 7/32 in the front and 5/32 in the back. I need to verify that when I pick up the vehicle. Man. The new tires are pricey too.
When the tread gets close to the wear bars. In between the tread are some bars between the tread. If the treat is getting close to the wear bars, 1mm or so, then it’s time to replace. Some tires get sketchy before they hit the wear bars too. I think you have enough tread for a while. Check the wear bars. If any are close, you should consider new tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
The big thing is to feel confident driving. You being in an area with snow I'd imagine you should be fine. Even with Chicago winters I didn't have any issues on my low tread tires until last winter and I drive aggressively. Those tread depths wouldn't bother me much though I'd start planning before winter next year for sure.

There are tons of threads on tire options. People have brand loyalty and personal preference. Pricing will be pretty consistent if you stay with the factory sizing. Unless you're going to get dedicated summer and winter set then be prepared to pay for the 21" tires. As far as the factory tires you're usually not going to get much beyond 20-30k average. Factory tires don't have tread warranty because they're not the same tires you buy retail.

Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
That's a big difference in tire depth, that might mess up the AWD system.

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That's a big difference in tire depth, that might mess up the AWD system.
Agree but if he’s been driving ok before the rotation, he should be ok after imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk