Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Tires Worn Already?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
But keeping them low also hurts tire wear so there’s definitely a balance. Keeping them at a higher pressure (38-44 psi cold), as long as your not inflating them a crazy amount, is actually going to wear the tires less then the recommended tire pressure most people recommend of 34 psi.
IMO All overinflating will do is start wearing the center of the tread more than the outside unless you are loading them close to max capacity. In my young and stupid years I wore out a set (just the middle of tread) in very short order.

Underinflating will wear the outsides of the tread faster than the center.

The proper inflation allows the whole tread to contact the road evenly for even wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I bought my ST used with 40K miles and the dealer installed brand new Continental tires. After 11K miles, the tires were worn out.

I rotate every 5-6K miles and keep them around 33PSI.
That sounds like a poor tire. Did you ask your dealer about any warranty?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That sounds like a poor tire. Did you ask your dealer about any warranty?
I did not. They were over 50 miles one way and were not easy to deal with. Mind you, I do drive the ST hard, so that is probably a reason why. Bought some Michelin Pilot 4s (all seasons) and they are 10x better than the Continentals.

Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
I believe that statement to be nonsense. Can you state your source?
Ditto for me. And I keep tire pressure at 33psi.
I guess I should clarify. I inflate my tires to around 40 psi cold, as I always was taught that that tire pressure is better for tire wear and fuel mileage, although worst for comfort and performance. I've done a little research on this, and it tends to be true (it's a highly debated topic so there are a lot of different answers). I really don't care about the tire wear, fuel, mileage, or performance aspect of it, it's my personal preference. I tried 33 psi and the car felt too "spongy" for my liking. I'd like to hear what your guys reasoning is on this, I'm always open to other's opinions, and if I'm wrong on this please clarify so I can learn.

Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
IMO All overinflating will do is start wearing the center of the tread more than the outside unless you are loading them close to max capacity. In my young and stupid years I wore out a set (just the middle of tread) in very short order.

Underinflating will wear the outsides of the tread faster than the center.

The proper inflation allows the whole tread to contact the road evenly for even wear.

That's why I said there is a balance. I've always filled my tires to higher then recommended specs from the manufacturer, although I've never "overfilled" tires, and I've never had any abnormal tire wear.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I've done a little research on this, and it tends to be true
I think you should gear your research towards what the manufacturers of tires will tell you, and not some small sampling of one or two enthusiasts or even a personal experience. Because it simply isn't true. Manufacturers hate making tire adjustments for tires that don't make the grade. It's simply handing dollars in your pocket back to your customers, all the while leaving a bad taste in their mouth because the tires they bought were under achievers.

I really don't care about the tire wear
That may be well and good, but that is what this thread is about.

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
I leave mine at what the manufacturer states on the door.
33 psi.
If they felt it needed to be higher or lower they would put it as so for the factory tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That's why I said there is a balance. I've always filled my tires to higher then recommended specs from the manufacturer, although I've never "overfilled" tires, and I've never had any abnormal tire wear.
Doubt a few psi would make huge difference. Many moons ago I went with 5-8 over door sticker and tires were toast at 15k with plenty of tread on the outside but almost bald in the middle. Just my experience.

Quick search found this blog on inflating tires.

https://www.carparts.com/blog/overinflated-tires-effects-risks-maintenance/

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I guess I should clarify. I inflate my tires to around 40 psi cold, as I always was taught that that tire pressure is better for tire wear and fuel mileage, although worst for comfort and performance. I've done a little research on this, and it tends to be true (it's a highly debated topic so there are a lot of different answers). I really don't care about the tire wear, fuel, mileage, or performance aspect of it, it's my personal preference. I tried 33 psi and the car felt too "spongy" for my liking. I'd like to hear what your guys reasoning is on this, I'm always open to other's opinions, and if I'm wrong on this please clarify so I can learn.
I base it off of what the auto manufacturer and tire manufacturer recommend. What my ass feels driving is useless. Been driving for close to 58 years and the only tire issue I've had is one puncture. So far directions have worked well for me.

Last edited: