Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2025 Explorer ST - Keypad question

Reactions
Vehicle
2014 Explorer Limited
I just picked up our new 2025 ST about a week ago. When I ordered it I knew that the keypad was a dealer installed option per the Ford.com site. I didn't bring it up with the dealer prior to delivery because I figured I could have it installed after I got it plus I wanted to wait to see what the install entailed. Today I was at the dealer getting an oil change in my truck and I asked the salesman about it, he referred me to the parts guy who referred me to the service guy. At first they thought I wanted to have them add an aftermarket kit but I convinced them that it was in fact a Ford option that the would install. Needless to say my confidence in them is not high at this point (first time buying from this dealer).

Now my question(s).
Is it a difficult install for a knowledgeable Ford service department? Is there much disassembly required on the door (or other parts of the vehicle)?
For those that have had it installed have there been any compatibility issues that have popped up?
Why did Ford make this a dealer installed option? Did they stop installing at the factory in previous years?

I did do a search for "keypad" and didn't see any post that answered my questions. Thanks for any input provided.