Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2025 Explorer ST - Keypad question

Reactions
Vehicle
2014 Explorer Limited
I just picked up our new 2025 ST about a week ago. When I ordered it I knew that the keypad was a dealer installed option per the Ford.com site. I didn't bring it up with the dealer prior to delivery because I figured I could have it installed after I got it plus I wanted to wait to see what the install entailed. Today I was at the dealer getting an oil change in my truck and I asked the salesman about it, he referred me to the parts guy who referred me to the service guy. At first they thought I wanted to have them add an aftermarket kit but I convinced them that it was in fact a Ford option that the would install. Needless to say my confidence in them is not high at this point (first time buying from this dealer).

Now my question(s).
Is it a difficult install for a knowledgeable Ford service department? Is there much disassembly required on the door (or other parts of the vehicle)?
For those that have had it installed have there been any compatibility issues that have popped up?
Why did Ford make this a dealer installed option? Did they stop installing at the factory in previous years?

I did do a search for "keypad" and didn't see any post that answered my questions. Thanks for any input provided.

Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Ford Explorer ST
I had a dealer lose a 60k sale because of this. I found the 2025 I wanted but I saw that it had the dealer added keypad for $455. Texted the dealer and asked if that could be removed and the $455 taken off the vehicle. He then tried to tell me that the keypad was included in the price from the factory and could not be removed. I told him that was not true as even their own window sticker stated that it was a dealer added $455 option and if I went to build one it was also an option. I also told him I did not want that on my car because (no offense) the car has keyless entry and key fobs so why should a door keypad ever be needed? I them told him I would look elsewhere. (Basically he just wanted to make an extra quick $455.) anyhow I found one at another site that had no add on’s and got a quote I liked from them which was lower. A day later the first dealer texts me and say if I reduce the cost by $455 will you buy the car? I said nope, I already found one at another dealer I was going to test drive. For 3 days after that last text he texted me and emailed me trying to get me to buy the car he had. I had to literally tell him to stop emailing me because I already bought my car from the other dealer. I told him, I’m sorry but you lost a 60k sale (got it cheaper than that by the way) over a $455 option that you would not budge on. (Did not want $455 off, I did not want that option on my car). I hope he learns that it’s better not to try and force stuff on people that they don’t want as I probably would have bought it from him if he just took it off.

Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Ford Explorer ST
P.S. sorry to try and answer your questions. The option looked pretty easy to install when I looked at it. Basically it was the black door trim piece with a wire that had a connector coming off of it. Looked to me like ya just plug it in somewhere after you install it. However the dealer might have to program it or something but not sure on that. I’m guessing it would take a good dealer maybe an hour to install‍♂️. Can not really comment on the other questions. Sorry.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
There are many dealer installed options that can appear on the window sticker. Roof crossbars, mudflaps, cargo mats, etc. If it is on the window sticker then it is included in the price and is not separately charged. Just separately installed.

FWIW there are still many reasons people want and use the door keypad, even with remote and phone access.