Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2025 Ford Explorer ST-Line 4x4 vs AWD

ExplorerSTLine

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Explorer ST-Line
Yea, another dumb question...I have heard that the 4x4 runs in All Wheel Drive by default until 4x4 is needed? Is that true?

Thanks!

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Yes in the ST is does
As for the st line trim??
You have the other engine right?
On my dash it stares AWD. And has a power distribution type gauge..it's mostly rear getting power ..but changes on pavement directly with application of the fun pedal

OP
ExplorerSTLine

ExplorerSTLine

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Explorer ST-Line
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply PowerBoatr. I have the 4X4 with 2.3 engine. The only drivetrain view is related to off-road (or something like that) with degree stuff. I know in my Edge and Escape you could see if the front wheels, rear wheels or both were pulling but not this puppy.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Might be a way in forscan
I will look
But I doubt ford spent time amd money having 2 different awd modes based on engine
However.. all the 3.0 4wd ones I have seen ..show up as AWD
Where asthe 4wd st line other engine show up as 4wd vice AWD
Sort of odd imo

Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Yea, another dumb question...I have heard that the 4x4 runs in All Wheel Drive by default until 4x4 is needed? Is that true?

Thanks!
These cars are not 4x4 to start. Second, AWD seems to be pretty active and according to the gauge that I’ve seen only disengages the front side once you have hit a certain speed or start to cruise.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I have seen about 20% in my f150 in sport mode under 0 to 65 , 70
Then it drops off
The ST I have seen very similar
I'm sport
I would imagine in off road modes like mud ruts, snow what ever it actively puts more tq to tires with the traction
Or might even put more bias to front on snow.??if it ever snows here I will test ir

Reactions
2025 ST's are "Intelligent" 4WD, not AWD. Unsure of how a ST Line works There is a difference between AWD & 4WD. Also, the 4WD cannot be activated by any manual means. It does what it does automatically and it is not constantly in 4WD. I'm not a fan of it locking in, or out, of 4WD when it feels it is necessary. I would much rather have at least the option of being able to select if I want it to happen automatically or by my prompt. IMO, they are way overly making everything happen automatically in newer vehicles instead of driver prompted. Its just more electronic BS waiting to glitch out.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
2025 ST's are "Intelligent" 4WD, not AWD. Unsure of how a ST Line works There is a difference between AWD & 4WD. Also, the 4WD cannot be activated by any manual means. It does what it does automatically and it is not constantly in 4WD. I'm not a fan of it locking in, or out, of 4WD when it feels it is necessary. I would much rather have at least the option of being able to select if I want it to happen automatically or by my prompt. IMO, they are way overly making everything happen automatically in newer vehicles instead of driver prompted. Its just more electronic BS waiting to glitch out.
It may intelligent and not torque on demand
But my insurance company gave me added discount for it pulling up in the insurance world of ??? As AWD.
Verus my f150 as toq on demand auto 4wd
When I play around with the graphic on the screen.
It definitely engages fronts a good bit in some curves and hill climbs..
It .. imo. Sticks to the road very well
Makes me smile like 17 year old

Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Ford advertises it as Intelligent 4wd but it is in fact AWD.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Ford advertises it as Intelligent 4wd but it is in fact AWD.
And.. using thier own definition
Of intelligent.. isn't that equal to all wheel drive in modern era?..using clutches, actuators, brakes. Torque vectoring etc.
It puts the torque to the wheels that are driving and regulates torque on wheels that are not or turning at different speeds as in a corner, if on pavement
I know the slippery mode in my f150 in 4Auto..works terriif8c on ice slick roads