Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

24 ST Build progress

Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Picked up a 2024 ST in Rapid Red with all the goodies.

Her name is Ygritte (feisty redhead from GoT)

IMG_6945.jpeg

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
Traded a 2019 Edge ST on it, looking for more room, better ride, and more power. I had previously owned a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited that I owned for 7 years and 150+k miles. Absolutely loved that car.

Once I took the ST for a spin, I knew that I was back home in the ST.

Took her home on 5/27 and already had some plans -
Splash Guards
Extra tint on the 2nd row and back
Catch can
Autostop eliminator

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Traded a 2019 Edge ST on it, looking for more room, better ride, and more power. I had previously owned a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited that I owned for 7 years and 150+k miles. Absolutely loved that car.

Once I took the ST for a spin, I knew that I was back home in the ST.

Took her home on 5/27 and already had some plans -
Splash Guards
Extra tint on the 2nd row and back
Catch can
Autostop eliminator
autostop eliminator?
I think all would recommend using Forscan to disable it on your own, with a bonus of extra capabilities later.

ps, Welcome, Ygritte is a beauty!

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
autostop eliminator?
I think all would recommend using Forscan to disable it on your own, with a bonus of extra capabilities later.

ps, Welcome, Ygritte is a beauty!
Thanks! Yes thought about forscan route (already added Bambi mode and removed FENG) but I had past experience with the Eliminator route so decided to go with it.

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
After adding the splash guards and getting the tint done, one thing just kept bugging me - those damn chrome lug nuts. This was an epic journey with my Edge for the same thing. I tried 3 different types of caps before I finally just went with the Ford Performance black lugnuts and black locking lugs.

(Pic with tint, splash guards, black lugnuts)

IMG_6992.jpeg

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST

Ziggy

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Iconic Silver Ford Explorer ST
After adding the splash guards and getting the tint done, one thing just kept bugging me - those damn chrome lug nuts. This was an epic journey with my Edge for the same thing. I tried 3 different types of caps before I finally just went with the Ford Performance black lugnuts and black locking lugs.

(Pic with tint, splash guards, black lugnuts)

View attachment 23745
Link? Looks awesome

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
$200 for 30 bucks worth of black lug nuts? Wow. lol

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
$200 for 30 bucks worth of black lug nuts? Wow. lol
Dumping on someone else’s build, disappointing…..especially coming from you

I went through a monthlong journey with 5 different types of black lug nuts for my 2019 Edge ST, I finally went with a set that didn’t fit exactly and rusted. So rather than waste my time (more valuable). I went with the factory ones.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Not dumping on a build…dumping on overpriced parts. I’d rather help people save money.

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
After spending time researching the dreaded differential bolts, one of the next mods I did was the Steeda differential brace. Turned out to be much easier than I thought, and the solid feel of the brace really inspires confidence in the solution.

IMG_7003.jpeg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
After spending time researching the dreaded differential bolts, one of the next mods I did was the Steeda differential brace. Turned out to be much easier than I thought, and the solid feel of the brace really inspires confidence in the solution.
Keep a close eye on the mounting hardware. They’ve been snapping left and right.

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
Keep a close eye on the mounting hardware. They’ve been snapping left and right.
Thanks for the heads up. Is it the black threaded rods into the subframe?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Wow. That is crazy.
If the brace is a stiffness add, and the bolts are not garbage - the diff has way more stress than Ford admits.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Wow. That is crazy.
If the brace is a stiffness add, and the bolts are not garbage - the diff has way more stress than Ford admits.
Also ID-Soeed brace hasn’t had this problem and it is designed very similar to the Steeds one. Has to be something wrong with those bolts.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Also ID-Soeed brace hasn’t had this problem and it is designed very similar to the Steeds one. Has to be something wrong with those bolts.
Glad I havent installed mine yet, then :rolleyes:
I'll see what comes about this so I can pick up whatever bolt is claimed to work properly.

What is it with bolts and these diffs?
It's like theyre allergic....

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19
More research and more reading on this site led me to my next upgrade. I upgraded the factory rear sway bar to the Steeda Adjustable rear sway bar. This is a huge upgrade and totally changes the way the Explorer feels in the corners, whether roundabouts or just turning the corner. Just as others have stated on here, this is biggest bang for the buck on how it changes the handling of the Explorer. The install was straight forward and easy.

The physical difference between the 2 bars in night and day. The stock bar weighed somewhere around 7.5lbs with the Steeda coming in at 17+lbs.

IMG_7017.jpeg IMG_7020.jpeg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Wow. That is crazy.
Here’s my opinion…take it as you will.
The oem bushings allow the diff to move but that’s not abnormal or really detrimental. The Steeda brace with 2 bushings (I don’t know what durometer) firms up the rear but the front rubber bushings still allow pinion rise on hard acceleration moving all the stress to the diff brace. If the bushings are too hard…the mounting hardware takes a beating and you wind up with this…some folks have said within 2 weeks. Steeda says they’ve revised the hardware but a few have still said they’re snapping studs. Steeda will also sell you their poly bushing inserts for the front to lock the diff down even further.
I honestly just don’t think it’s necessary…but Steeda sells plenty of parts so others agree with them. I personally think the ID Speed brace that was designed to work with the oem bushings to mimic the oem 4 bolt diff is the better design. The fact that it’s been out a lot longer and had zero failures would support that opinion.

IMG_3941.jpeg