Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

24 ST Build progress

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Here’s my opinion…take it as you will.
The oem bushings allow the diff to move but that’s not abnormal or really detrimental. The Steeda brace with 2 bushings (I don’t know what durometer) firms up the rear but the front rubber bushings still allow pinion rise on hard acceleration moving all the stress to the diff brace. If the bushings are too hard…the mounting hardware takes a beating and you wind up with this…some folks have said within 2 weeks. Steeda says they’ve revised the hardware but a few have still said they’re snapping studs. Steeda will also sell you their poly bushing inserts for the front to lock the diff down even further.
I honestly just don’t think it’s necessary…but Steeda sells plenty of parts so others agree with them. I personally think the ID Speed brace that was designed to work with the oem bushings to mimic the oem 4 bolt diff is the better design. The fact that it’s been out a lot longer and had zero failures would support that opinion.

View attachment 23752
That is a good point.
I bought the front poly bushings too, assuming this mismatch might be a problem as well.
I almost went I.D.

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #22
Actually made this next purchase/install out of aesthetics need more than anything. The front strut tower brace that Ford provided is just ugly, so I ordered and installed the Steeda brace. So much more solid of a piece than the stamped steel provided. Love the fit and look, and bonus, it holds a long stem funnel perfectly for filling the oil after a change. :cool:

IMG_7025.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Actually made this next purchase/install out of aesthetics need more than anything. The front strut tower brace that Ford provided is just ugly, so I ordered and installed the Steeda brace. So much more solid of a piece than the stamped steel provided. Love the fit and look, and bonus, it holds a long stem funnel perfectly for filling the oil after a change. :cool:

View attachment 23753
Nice!
Not only is the stamped one ugly, the flex is LAUGHABLE

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Cookie sheets in our kitchen have less flex :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It’s weak because it was never meant to be anything other than cosmetic. The actual bracing is under the cowl panels where the strut towers are triangulated to the firewall via large, tubular braces. This is also why aftermarket braces are cosmetic only and don’t actually improve the handling any. It’s been discussed ad nauseam here if someone wanted to search and read about it.

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #27
It’s weak because it was never meant to be anything other than cosmetic. The actual bracing is under the cowl panels where the strut towers are triangulated to the firewall via large, tubular braces. This is also why aftermarket braces are cosmetic only and don’t actually improve the handling any. It’s been discussed ad nauseam here if someone wanted to search and read about it.
“Actually made this next purchase/install out of aesthetics need more than anything. “

:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
“Actually made this next purchase/install out of aesthetics need more than anything. “

:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:
I saw that…also saw the posts about how flexible the oem part is. Knowing it’s only cosmetic…it could be made of cardboard and not matter.

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #29
Also did some interior mods as well. These are purely looks driven. Early on someone on the Interior Modifications section displayed a black insert for the center console. Found one I liked with the carbon fiber look. Also added the silver pedals which for the cost were a really cool addition (excuse the dirty mat)

IMG_7031.jpeg IMG_7032.jpeg IMG_7034.jpeg

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #30
Like the chrome lug nuts, the chrome exhaust tips have bothered me since I brought it home. Stopped by a local muffler shop after work one day, explained what I was looking for, and the guy completely understood what I was trying to do.

Boring before picture -

IMG_7041.jpeg

Had him cut off the chrome tips and weld on 4” black tips.

IMG_7048.jpeg IMG_7049.jpeg IMG_7050.jpeg

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
That ruby red is just the shiiiiit
It got me. And we came home with a f250

Attachments

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #32
That ruby red is just the shiiiiit
It got me. And we came home with a f250
Nice!! The color is striking!

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #33
Couple more additions to help with the rear differential. I added a tougher rear differential bolt and the JXB rear diff insert. Yes I know the text is upside down, didn’t notice until I looked at the pictures :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IMG_7343.jpeg

IMG_7346.jpeg

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #36
After a full detail, decided to get some pics with an appropriate background

IMG_7455.jpeg IMG_7352.jpeg IMG_7404.jpeg IMG_7398.jpeg

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Lucid red is killer all cleaned up

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 EXPLORER ST
Here’s my opinion…take it as you will.
The oem bushings allow the diff to move but that’s not abnormal or really detrimental. The Steeda brace with 2 bushings (I don’t know what durometer) firms up the rear but the front rubber bushings still allow pinion rise on hard acceleration moving all the stress to the diff brace. If the bushings are too hard…the mounting hardware takes a beating and you wind up with this…some folks have said within 2 weeks. Steeda says they’ve revised the hardware but a few have still said they’re snapping studs. Steeda will also sell you their poly bushing inserts for the front to lock the diff down even further.
I honestly just don’t think it’s necessary…but Steeda sells plenty of parts so others agree with them. I personally think the ID Speed brace that was designed to work with the oem bushings to mimic the oem 4 bolt diff is the better design. The fact that it’s been out a lot longer and had zero failures would support that opinion.

View attachment 23752
I’m on my 4th set of hardware… fortunately Steeda replaces and ships it for free.. I have all the components you can buy for the rear diff, bushings bolts etc.. and sheer these off after a few hard launches within a short period of time.. I don’t think these were rated for 700plus.. never had this problem until I was north of 650whp/tq.. but I’ve seen folks snapping them at the 500 range… but I ld rather these break than anything else lol

OP
AggieSVT
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #40
Which tips are those? That's exactly what I'm looking for.
They were pretty generic, I am unsure of the brand that he had. 4” opening 6” long with I believe 2.75” inlet