Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Another broken exhaust story - Have a question for everyone

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So this happened to me yesterday:

Exhaust1.jpg

I was able to get it off the ground with a cinch strap and drive it off of the freeway. It is now sitting about 8 miles from my house. My question is can I drive this the last 8 miles without doing any damage to my engine/turbos?

Also planning on ordering catted downpipes and having my exhaust guy fill in the blanks between those and the mufflers/tips he installed for me. Any strong opinions on which downpipes to order? Any opinions on replacing the resonator versus deleting it? I like a good sound but don't want drone.

Thanks to all in advance. This forum has been a great wealth of knowledge for me.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
So this happened to me yesterday:

View attachment 24356

I was able to get it off the ground with a cinch strap and drive it off of the freeway. It is now sitting about 8 miles from my house. My question is can I drive this the last 8 miles without doing any damage to my engine/turbos?

Also planning on ordering catted downpipes and having my exhaust guy fill in the blanks between those and the mufflers/tips he installed for me. Any strong opinions on which downpipes to order? Any opinions on replacing the resonator versus deleting it? I like a good sound but don't want drone.

Thanks to all in advance. This forum has been a great wealth of knowledge for me.
Whoosh or CVFab downpipes are best bang for buck. If you delete the resonator with stock exhaust it will sound raspy and will drone. Probably best to just weld the stock exhaust back together or get a new aftermarket one.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Yes drive it home
Yes it will sound awful
Yes do research and put on a system that fits your style..
Or if it's under warranty get fotd to replace broken bits

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I would just get it warrantied.

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I just wonder on the warranty side if they will fight me since I change out the rear mufflers? They always look for a reason to deny the claim.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
That break is really straight looking
Was that area cut previously? Or is that a factory weld line? It's hard to see in the pic
Got a better picture
You said you changed muffler?
How much of stock system did you change

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That break is really straight looking
Was that area cut previously? Or is that a factory weld line? It's hard to see in the pic
Got a better picture
You said you changed muffler?
How much of stock system did you change
Well known stress spot. Very common to crack right there.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for the help guys. I just wonder on the warranty side if they will fight me since I change out the rear mufflers? They always look for a reason to deny the claim.
That’s the end of a catalytic converter. That’s Federal emission warranty territory and it’s 8 years or 80K miles.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Well known stress spot. Very common to crack right there.
Thanks I couldn't quite make it out
Seems odd such a sloppy looking joint

Drweldin

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
What a weird failure. Seems like there would need to be significant movement towards the rear of the car to put that much stress on it. I knew of the cracked weld, but not this failure. As stated, just have Ford replace it since it's the cat.

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
After reading these responses I am going to take it to my dealership first. Thanks again.

Explorer ST Posts