Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Another power failure

Reactions
The 2020 St is back to the dealer. The battery has a large power draw intermittently. This is the second battery replacement in 18 months. It ran fine for weeks then overnight went down to 3.5v. I did a slow recharge to avoid frying any modules. Rechecked for loose battery connects. It took about 36 hours to get to 12.2 v and enough amperage to crank and run fine again. Once again problem starts with auto shut off not working, actually a pleasant issue. Random checks show good battery voltage and load. But then one day the start without accessories message comes on. Starts up fine and works well for a couple of months. Then boom. too low battery for even a jump start. No idea why such a large drain so letting dealer work on it. PIA as wife is handicapped and need the ST for wheelchair and other items transport.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Have your modules been updated? There was a deep sleep TSB early on for MY2020 that called for a bunch of module updates. I've not had a deep sleep since although the experience has made me keep track of voltages closely. If you don't have a radar detector that has voltage display or a cig lighter USB charger with voltage display, I would definitely recommend that. You may very well have a power draw but you might also have inadequate charging.

Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Ford Explorer ST 400a
Funny you said that. Several months ago had a doa battery. Drive it regularly. Took me couple hours to get it moving rather than flatbed it to dealer 26 miles away. The day before my wife’s ‘22 Edge did the same thing. I’m beginning to think it was an OTA update the really messed with both of them.
A charge helped hers, mine, went through all connections, did ecm resets, etc.
Never happened since. Told service rep. Clueless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk