Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

AWD Module Calibration

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
All,

I had to install a new AWD module. Now I need to program/calibrate the new module to get rid of the 4wd fault. Has anybody been able to do this successfully using FORSCAN or can anybody provide me with some guidance on how to do this? Thank you.

OP
P
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
OK. I was able to figure out how to run the Active Torque Coupling configuration using the ATC serial number. This was successful but I'm still getting the 4wd Fault indicator and the following codes even after clearing the DTC:

C0632 Front Axle Disconnect Control Circuit: Circuit short to ground or open
P064F Unauthorized Software/Calibration Detected

Just a bit of a back story: My 2020 Ford Explorer ST began displaying multiple faults on the dash (traction control, 4wd, hill start assist, service advancetrac, etc.). This caused me to be unable to select a drive mode or use cruise control. I initially replaced the front half shaft speed sensor which did nothing. I then eventually bought and replaced the AWD module which eliminated all of the faults except the 4wd fault indicator and I was again able to select drive modes and use cruise control. I chalked the 4wd fault up to needing to calibrate/program the new module. Now that I have completed the calibration using FORscan and am still getting the 4wd fault and codes above, I am at a loss as to what to try now. Let me know if anybody has any insight into this. Thanks.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not sure about Forscan. Normally you would use FDRS to run AWD - PMI. Then update the As-Built AWD module using FDRS also, selecting "connector present" on the FADA option. Worst case scenario, just go to the dealer and say you installed a new AWD module and need the PMI/update performed. You would still save money on diagnostics, AWD sourcing and installation.

Not sure what "calibration" through forscan means, but in my mind, you need to load the As-Built file for the AWD module and update that to the new module. Then maybe reboot any and all modules related to the AWD module.

If the codes were AWD communication faults to start out with, sounds like the TSB for grounding the AWD module should have been attempted instead of getting a new AWD module.

OP
P
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Not sure about Forscan. Normally you would use FDRS to run AWD - PMI. Then update the As-Built AWD module using FDRS also, selecting "connector present" on the FADA option. Worst case scenario, just go to the dealer and say you installed a new AWD module and need the PMI/update performed. You would still save money on diagnostics, AWD sourcing and installation.

Not sure what "calibration" through forscan means, but in my mind, you need to load the As-Built file for the AWD module and update that to the new module. Then maybe reboot any and all modules related to the AWD module.

If the codes were AWD communication faults to start out with, sounds like the TSB for grounding the AWD module should have been attempted instead of getting a new AWD module.

I forgot to mention that I did, in fact, try TSB 23-2061 prior to installing a new AWD module and it solved nothing. The procedure I followed in FORscan takes the place of/performs the same action as updating the As-Built AWD module with FDRS and has been successfully used by many from what I can tell. Thanks.