Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

AWD Module Calibration

Peewee56

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
All,

I had to install a new AWD module. Now I need to program/calibrate the new module to get rid of the 4wd fault. Has anybody been able to do this successfully using FORSCAN or can anybody provide me with some guidance on how to do this? Thank you.

OP
P

Peewee56

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
OK. I was able to figure out how to run the Active Torque Coupling configuration using the ATC serial number. This was successful but I'm still getting the 4wd Fault indicator and the following codes even after clearing the DTC:

C0632 Front Axle Disconnect Control Circuit: Circuit short to ground or open
P064F Unauthorized Software/Calibration Detected

Just a bit of a back story: My 2020 Ford Explorer ST began displaying multiple faults on the dash (traction control, 4wd, hill start assist, service advancetrac, etc.). This caused me to be unable to select a drive mode or use cruise control. I initially replaced the front half shaft speed sensor which did nothing. I then eventually bought and replaced the AWD module which eliminated all of the faults except the 4wd fault indicator and I was again able to select drive modes and use cruise control. I chalked the 4wd fault up to needing to calibrate/program the new module. Now that I have completed the calibration using FORscan and am still getting the 4wd fault and codes above, I am at a loss as to what to try now. Let me know if anybody has any insight into this. Thanks.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not sure about Forscan. Normally you would use FDRS to run AWD - PMI. Then update the As-Built AWD module using FDRS also, selecting "connector present" on the FADA option. Worst case scenario, just go to the dealer and say you installed a new AWD module and need the PMI/update performed. You would still save money on diagnostics, AWD sourcing and installation.

Not sure what "calibration" through forscan means, but in my mind, you need to load the As-Built file for the AWD module and update that to the new module. Then maybe reboot any and all modules related to the AWD module.

If the codes were AWD communication faults to start out with, sounds like the TSB for grounding the AWD module should have been attempted instead of getting a new AWD module.

OP
P

Peewee56

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Not sure about Forscan. Normally you would use FDRS to run AWD - PMI. Then update the As-Built AWD module using FDRS also, selecting "connector present" on the FADA option. Worst case scenario, just go to the dealer and say you installed a new AWD module and need the PMI/update performed. You would still save money on diagnostics, AWD sourcing and installation.

Not sure what "calibration" through forscan means, but in my mind, you need to load the As-Built file for the AWD module and update that to the new module. Then maybe reboot any and all modules related to the AWD module.

If the codes were AWD communication faults to start out with, sounds like the TSB for grounding the AWD module should have been attempted instead of getting a new AWD module.

I forgot to mention that I did, in fact, try TSB 23-2061 prior to installing a new AWD module and it solved nothing. The procedure I followed in FORscan takes the place of/performs the same action as updating the As-Built AWD module with FDRS and has been successfully used by many from what I can tell. Thanks.

OP
P

Peewee56

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Alright, I've gotten it down to just code P064F (unauthorized software/calibration detected). Could this be because I entered the wrong ATC serial number when asked? I've attached an image of the serial number that I used. Thanks
1000001784.jpg

DelST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Alright, I've gotten it down to just code P064F (unauthorized software/calibration detected). Could this be because I entered the wrong ATC serial number when asked? I've attached an image of the serial number that I used. Thanks
View attachment 23835
I'm at the same spot as you with this issue. I replaced awd module and did the tsb for the ground cable. Where you ever able to get rid of all the warnings I'm gonna see if the dealership would update the module for. I also plan on doing the FADA tsb but don't want to spend $500 on a mongoose plus cable and the 1 day license for FDRS.

Ksipp01

Doctor
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thanks for posting this! I’m in the same boat.
Replaced half axel speed sensor, no change. Is there any way someone could share the TSBs that are mentioned in this thread?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I'm at the same spot as you with this issue. I replaced awd module and did the tsb for the ground cable. Where you ever able to get rid of all the warnings I'm gonna see if the dealership would update the module for. I also plan on doing the FADA tsb but don't want to spend $500 on a mongoose plus cable and the 1 day license for FDRS.
I'm selling my MongoosePlus for $150 if your interested.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks for posting this! I’m in the same boat.
Replaced half axel speed sensor, no change. Is there any way someone could share the TSBs that are mentioned in this thread?
Pay particular attention the codes. When I had the speed sensor fail, there was only one code specifically identifying a speed sensor fault.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Thanks.
sorry for the newbie question but what is the advantage over Forscan?
I believe you can do more programming and tasks with FDRS.

Ksipp01

Doctor
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Pay particular attention the codes. When I had the speed sensor fail, there was only one code specifically identifying a speed sensor fault.
thank you!!

Ksipp01

Doctor
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Actually that reply was inadequate...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THAK YOU!!
The Ground Wire fix did it.
I had already replaced the Half Axel Speed sensor (that was completely covered with thick oil). No change.
This Ground wire mod (23-2061) did it!!
I just removed "pin 46" from the harness, cut it, soldered it to a 14 ga ground wire with spade connector to the ground bolt and the same "pin 46" connector. cleared all the errors with FORScan and everything works.

A ground wire...really! some electrical engineer needs a pay cut!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!
Kevin

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
NICE.

Really should have been a recall.

I wouldn't blame the engineers though. the modules used before and after the date ranges affected are fine.

hbalek

Reactions
Ever since I had the half-shaft speed sensor replaced, then the FADA TSB 23-174 performed, it started driving worse and worse. Three months ago, I had the rear differential replaced along with the transfer case/PTU replaced. It drove ok for a few weeks, then started shuddering whenever the front axle gets power. They replaced the PTU again. 300 miles later it started shuddering again during accelearation when AWD kicks in. They can't seem to get it back to the way it was before the TSB FADA deletion. I feel like they're treating the symptom and not the cause. Whjen I go in again, I'm gonna ask them to check the driveshaft and differential again.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ever since I had the half-shaft speed sensor replaced, then the FADA TSB 23-174 performed, it started driving worse and worse. Three months ago, I had the rear differential replaced along with the transfer case/PTU replaced. It drove ok for a few weeks, then started shuddering whenever the front axle gets power. They replaced the PTU again. 300 miles later it started shuddering again during accelearation when AWD kicks in. They can't seem to get it back to the way it was before the TSB FADA deletion. I feel like they're treating the symptom and not the cause. Whjen I go in again, I'm gonna ask them to check the driveshaft and differential again.
Maybe they forgot to flash the AWD module with FDRS after they did the FADA delete. I would think there'd be codes though as there is no signal going to and from the FADA after the TSB. You have to think, either a major component of the drivetrain is wrong or the control programming is off. If you have Forscan, I would try resetting the transmission tables, and also resetting the AWD module.

Reactions
Maybe they forgot to flash the AWD module with FDRS after they did the FADA delete. I would think there'd be codes though as there is no signal going to and from the FADA after the TSB. You have to think, either a major component of the drivetrain is wrong or the control programming is off. If you have Forscan, I would try resetting the transmission tables, and also resetting the AWD module.
I do not have Forscan. I've driven it about 400 miles since the second PTU replacement and it seems to be deteriorating. The power transfer is rough and there's loud shuddering and grinding noises. At this point the only thing I can think of that hasn't been replaced is the drive-shaft and if that's bad, wouldn't that effect the rear differential and the PTU?