Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bad rear Diff bearing

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Hey guys need some sound advice.

Ok, so heard a whirling type of sound while driving, I checked on it and it seemed to be a bad rear driver hub bearing.
Replaced hub bearing and the noise still present.
Mechanic listened in and found it to be a bad Diff bearing.
Anyone know the labor or how hard this is to replace?
My mechanic said the whole sub frame may need to come out!!!

My mechanic and another refused to do the work and said it would need to go to the dealer.
At 53k I know the dealer will deny a claim with lowering springs, sway bars, tune, etc. and I would prefer to avoid the dealer costly service.
Just looking for some insight before I call around.
Thanks

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
There have been instances here where folks have gotten parts/labor warrantied even with mods and a tune. It's not going to hurt to try. They can't tell you it's going to be warranty work and then turn around and decide to charge you for it halfway through.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Definitely take it to the dealer. Hopefully it is just a rear differential carrier bearing. Worst case scenario, you need the entire rear diff replaced like one member here reported!

Last edited:
OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #4
Definitely take it to the dealer. Hopefully it is just a rear differential carrier bearing. Worst case scenario, you need the entire rear diff replaced like one member here reported!
Yeah, I'm hoping. The shop I had it at had it up on lift with it running and used a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise. First was the rear driver hub bearing and before fixed he had said it may be something else in addition. Sure enough he stated it was the rear diff pinion bearing. While the noise inside has gotten quieter it can still be heard.
I'm just wondering if it is something aftermarket that could of did this. the spacers 1 1/4, lowering springs, or tires that I changed to 285 vs 275?

hbalek

Reactions
I've had the front axle disconnect actuator replaced, then the rear differential replaced and transfer case replaced twice in the past 6 months all under powertrain warranty before my 5 year/60K miles warranty expires in December. I'm currently at 53,500 miles. I have no mods or tunes. I don't race or drive it hard. Just bad luck I guess.