Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Battery cost from Ford

Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
I have always just gone to autozone or whatever and bought a battery. I have never called Ford and bought one as I always thought they were more expensive. Will they sell one without setting up an appointment and having them do the work etc? I will put it in myself. Has anyone bought one recently from Ford? Autozone is $259.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The days of cheap batteries are gone. And remember…Ford or Motorcraft do not make batteries…they’re made by Clarios…who also makes batteries for Autozone and others.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Check Walmart.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Low price, free shipping, and stellar reviews. I installed one of these about a year ago---zero complaints thus far: Weize H6 Group 48 AGM Battery

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
Thread Starter #5

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
I have always just gone to autozone or whatever and bought a battery. I have never called Ford and bought one as I always thought they were more expensive. Will they sell one without setting up an appointment and having them do the work etc? I will put it in myself. Has anyone bought one recently from Ford? Autozone is $259.
All I always do is just go to my Ford parts counter and ask for a battery for my car, they give it to me and I install it myself, no big deal at all. These cars require a little disassembly to reach the stock battery though, which isn’t hard though.

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
Thread Starter #7
All I always do is just go to my Ford parts counter and ask for a battery for my car, they give it to me and I install it myself, no big deal at all. These cars require a little disassembly to reach the stock battery though, which isn’t hard though.
This is supposed to be the car that I DON'T have to mess with lol.
20240801_123312.jpg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You’re making it harder than it is. That piece of the cowl you have propped up…just unsnap it off the bottom of the glass and get it completely out of the way.

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
Thread Starter #9
You’re making it harder than it is. That piece of the cowl you have propped up…just unsnap it off the bottom of the glass and get it completely out of the way.
I got it out as is. It didn't seem like it would freely disconnect from the bottom of the glass so I propped it up.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Last year I had the battery replaced under warranty on my old 21 and they said if I had to pay for it, it was just a little over $400

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Costco has the best prices on Batteries. Well at least in NJ. My wife’s Murano battery died after 6 years. Most places wanted $176 - $250 for a battery. Costco was $129 + 15 for core return

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
20 Platinum
Thread Starter #13
Costco has the best prices on Batteries. Well at least in NJ. My wife’s Murano battery died after 6 years. Most places wanted $176 - $250 for a battery. Costco was $129 + 15 for core return
I didn't check there as I don't have a Costco membership. I was recommended to look at Walmart which I hadn't considered but they were the cheapest for me on one that I could get today. It was $179. AutoZone and Advance Auto were $260.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I didn't check there as I don't have a Costco membership. I was recommended to look at Walmart which I hadn't considered but they were the cheapest for me on one that I could get today. It was $179. AutoZone and Advance Auto were $260.
Walmart was my plan “B”. It was just so convenient that my wife’s car died in the Target parking lot next to Costco.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah, I say this with a grain of salt and can't really recommend because I haven't purchased one. A couple of months back, I was shopping around, and all things considered, convenience (lots of stores), cost ($180), and warranty (no questions asked 4-year free replacement), Walmart rose to the top.

I was getting the sleep mode notification frequently, almost daily, over a 3-month period with no other issues and was thinking it was time as the battery is just now 3 years old. That said, I reset the battery monitor (BMS) and haven't seen the notification in the past 8 weeks. No doubt, it probably is still time for a new battery.

I feel funny throwing Walmart out there. :unsure:

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Last year I had the battery replaced under warranty on my old 21 and they said if I had to pay for it, it was just a little over $400
When I see these dealer labor costs I want to go work for them.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah, I say this with a grain of salt and can't really recommend because I haven't purchased one. A couple of months back, I was shopping around, and all things considered, convenience (lots of stores), cost ($180), and warranty (no questions asked 4-year free replacement), Walmart rose to the top.

I was getting the sleep mode notification frequently, almost daily, over a 3-month period with no other issues and was thinking it was time as the battery is just now 3 years old. That said, I reset the battery monitor (BMS) and haven't seen the notification in the past 8 weeks. No doubt, it probably is still time for a new battery.

I feel funny throwing Walmart out there. :unsure:
I to reset the BMS about 3 months ago. Since doing that Mine has been working as it should including the ASS working. Some will see that as an issue but it tells me that resetting the BMS helped. Right now my battery is getting clost to 5 years old.

Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Ford Explorer ST 400a
When I see these dealer labor costs I want to go work for them.
Any tech that works on warranty services, don’t paid as much as they would on a normal serviced vehicle. That is also why they won’t clear or update modules other than whats causing the issue. You have a lot of modules. They will only update whats needed, ie, apim, tcu, etc.
Thats why I invested in all the software and cables to do updates.
When I traded in my F150, they got a perfectly updated computer system.

You want to get involved, it can cost you. But it will get completely updated, not just a few. things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Sorry to hi-jack thread, I'm looking to replace the original battery on my 2020 very soon. How does one reset the BMS?

Explorer ST Posts