Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Borla S-type vs thermal 2.5

21BlackST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Has anyone heard both in person? I’m looking for a semi quiet exhaust for the st. I’ve narrowed it down to those 2 systems. All I have to go on is sound clips which over the phone or iPad doesn’t really help. I need it semi quiet as my 4 and 1 year olds rooms are right about the garage. Plus this is also our family car. The kids sleep on long trips etc. I don’t really care which one makes 5 more whp than the other. If this truck sees the track 5 times in its life I’ll be amazed. The S-type not having the mid pipes is not an issue since I currently have the lethal mid pipes on the truck. Just hoping someone has either had both or heard both in person. Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Has anyone heard both in person? I’m looking for a semi quiet exhaust for the st. I’ve narrowed it down to that 2 systems. All I have to go on is sound clips which over the phone or iPad doesn’t really help. I need it semi quiet as I my 4 and 1 year olds rooms are right about the garage. Plus this is also our family car. The kids sleep on long trips etc. I don’t really care which one makes 5 more whp than the other. If this truck sees the track 5 times in its life I’ll be amazed. The S-type not having the mid pipes is not an issue since I currently have the lethal mid pipes on the truck. Just hoping someone has either had both or heard both in person. Thanks ahead of time.
I haven’t heard either in person, but the Thermal is well known to be the quietest of all aftermarket exhausts available. Also, no exhaust will give you any power gain.

OP

21BlackST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Thread Starter #3
I haven’t heard either in person, but the Thermal is well known to be the quietest of all aftermarket exhausts available. Also, no exhaust will give you any power gain.
I realize this I was just trying to avoid the 2.25 vs 2.5 debate. I’ll never do more than a tune, intercooler and exhaust on this truck. Basically doing the exhaust because my stock one is falling apart at 18k miles. Oh and the tips look like crap. It won’t even see an e50 tune since the northeast hates ethanol.

Reactions
Thermal R&D. Pretty much in the same scenario as you. Kids room right next to the garage. Cold start is bit loud but has never woke them up. Hardly noticeable at cruising speeds and kids still sleeping at WOT.