Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Bruce's Silver Spruce Metalic ST

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Not sure where to go next. I was going to get the full aFe intake system but my gut just wouldn't let me pull the trigger on spending that much on something that is going to give me zero return. I know it says it increases Hp but most people seem to disagree and say the stock system has sufficient air flow. So it would be just for looks and that would only be for whoever is looking under the hood. I'm considering wheel spacers but I'm not fully committed yet. Any suggestions on what to do next? I have about $2k to spend.
Charge pipes are worth it, and intake will gain minimal gains from that. I would just say charge pipes right now. To me I’d find a good set of wheels before anything. Those stock tires are way too small and offset is too inset.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Thread Starter #42
I agree with you on the wheels, somewhat. The tires are only 5k miles old and they are the stock size. I looked at going bigger but the price got a lot bigger so I decided stock is fine for now. I may get some spacers but a new set of wheels is on the list. I'm probably going to just squirrel away the money until I have enough to buy some new ones. By the time these tires wear out I should have enough for new rims and tires that fit better.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I agree with you on the wheels, somewhat. The tires are only 5k miles old and they are the stock size. I looked at going bigger but the price got a lot bigger so I decided stock is fine for now. I may get some spacers but a new set of wheels is on the list. I'm probably going to just squirrel away the money until I have enough to buy some new ones. By the time these tires wear out I should have enough for new rims and tires that fit better.
Even some 21 in takeoffs would be a huge improvement.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #44
If you like that style, sure. I’m just not into the low profile look. I like a little sidewall. Definitely want wider though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
If you like that style, sure. I’m just not into the low profile look. I like a little sidewall. Definitely want wider though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The sidewalls aren’t that much smaller. Plus you can get a larger tire size that has the same amount of sidewall. Wheels are in the eye of the beholder though. Could get some Niche Mazzanti wheels and Nitto tires in 20” rims for around $2k so that would be your budget. Anything is better than the stock wheels IMO.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
If you're looking at an intake and have money to spend, then I'd recommend Fenfab's v2 intake. Might be just as minimal of gains as other intakes but it's biggest selling point IMO is the way it sounds.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #47
If you're looking at an intake and have money to spend, then I'd recommend Fenfab's v2 intake. Might be just as minimal of gains as other intakes but it's biggest selling point IMO is the way it sounds.
The way it sounds? I've had CAI on many of my cars and they never made any sound. The closest thing to making a sound was when I took the silencer out of the air box of my Ford Ranger and added a K&N drop-in filter. You could hear the air being sucked into the engine. Sounded like a vaccum cleaner on steroids! LOL! Are you talking about the sound from the BOV? The reason I was gonna go with the aFe system is because it allows you to retain the stock one where the FenFabrication system requires you to either delete it or use an aftermarket one, which I don't want to do. I'd be interested in hearing the sound they make. I spent a couple grand on an exhaust just for the sound so I may be more inclined to go ahead and make the purchase if I liked how it sounds. Does it make the turbos more audible? That's really the only sound I would like to hear.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
It is very expensive though coming close to $1k.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
The way it sounds? I've had CAI on many of my cars and they never made any sound. The closest thing to making a sound was when I took the silencer out of the air box of my Ford Ranger and added a K&N drop-in filter. You could hear the air being sucked into the engine. Sounded like a vaccum cleaner on steroids! LOL! Are you talking about the sound from the BOV? The reason I was gonna go with the aFe system is because it allows you to retain the stock one where the FenFabrication system requires you to either delete it or use an aftermarket one, which I don't want to do. I'd be interested in hearing the sound they make. I spent a couple grand on an exhaust just for the sound so I may be more inclined to go ahead and make the purchase if I liked how it sounds. Does it make the turbos more audible? That's really the only sound I would like to hear.
Dental allows you to use the stock BOV. What year is your car though. Starting in 2022 the STs didn’t get BOVs.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #50
Dental allows you to use the stock BOV. What year is your car though. Starting in 2022 the STs didn’t get BOVs.
No, you have to use one of the three listed BOV's or the block off plate on the 2020 . That's what I was told after emailing them and asking them. aFe is made to fit the stock BPV and you have to use an adapter to use an aftermarket. This is just the information I got from emailing them.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
No, you have to use one of the three listed BOV's or the block off plate on the 2020 . That's what I was told after emailing them and asking them. aFe is made to fit the stock BPV and you have to use an adapter to use an aftermarket. This is just the information I got from emailing them.
Interesting. I thought you could use the stock BOV.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Yeah it definitely is quite audible. And again, just like with exhaust, intake volume is going to be subjective. The way others have talked about the Fenfab, I thought this thing was going to be crazy loud so I was a little disappointed when I first installed it. However, I've come to love it for the sound. After I installed my intercooler it seems a little louder though that's probably placebo. Now that the weather's warmer, when I have the windows down and the music off, even medium throttle pulls are fun just to hear the intakes.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
The v2 is only $565
My mistake I might have remembered the two backwards. V1 might be the one closer to a grand.