Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Catch Can Contents

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I saw something online that said you should empty a Catch Can every 2500 miles and I am at about 3900 so I figured I better check it. I’m glad I did because it was almost full!

That’s a lot of oil it prevented from going back into the intake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I saw something online that said you should empty a Catch Can every 2500 miles and I am at about 3900 so I figured I better check it. I’m glad I did because it was almost full!

That’s a lot of oil it prevented from going back into the intake!

If you are on the throttle a lot the can does fill up in short order. That’s a lot that is not coating your intake valves.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
I had some smoke, well a lot of smoke, at start up after driving the vehicle 5 minutes before so I checked the catch can and it was full again! I just emptied it like a week and a half ago! What could be causing it to fill up so fast?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I had some smoke, well a lot of smoke, at start up after driving the vehicle 5 minutes before so I checked the catch can and it was full again! I just emptied it like a week and a half ago! What could be causing it to fill up so fast?
Excessive blow by, either the valves or pistons, or both.

Reactions
That much doesn't look good to me. That would have me thinking something else is wrong.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Or turbo seal.

That oil would end up in the intake and then combustion chamber, wouldn't it?

Reactions
That oil would end up in the intake and then combustion chamber, wouldn't it?
Maybe, maybe not. Some would but a fair amount would stick to the walls of everything the mist passes through - intake, intercooler, turbo.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Maybe, maybe not. Some would but a fair amount would stick to the walls of everything the mist passes through - intake, intercooler, turbo.
But none of it would end up in the catch can because it's not coming from the the PCV system. OP is asking why his catch can is so full.

Reactions
But none of it would end up in the catch can because it's not coming from the the PCV system. OP is asking why his catch can is so full.
Without the catch can, it would all end up where you don't want it. The fact that so much is in his catch can would be concerning to me. The catch can is tied into the PCV line so it is all coming from there. The catch can receives the crankcase vented pressure along with the oil, and sometimes water mist, filters out the oil & water, then passes that clean air into the intake. Why so much could be many factors you mentioned.

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Over filled with oil?

Reactions
I've relayed before that I have a 2018, twin turbo Fusion Sport that now has 64K miles on it. It has had an oil catch can on it since day one of owning it brand new. I have yet to ever pull out over a teaspoon of oil/water. Some results vary depending on the vehicle and usage. Some on this forum have said the same thing - some have lots, some have little. OP's engine may be fine and that is how it operates. If it were mine, I would look into everything I could to be sure something wasn't wrong.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
Nope. Was more than a quart low! This has me very concerned! If I bring it in I know they are going to say it’s something to do with the catch can! But I can’t not bring it in either.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
I've relayed before that I have a 2018, twin turbo Fusion Sport that now has 64K miles on it. It has had an oil catch can on it since day one of owning it brand new. I have yet to ever pull out over a teaspoon of oil/water. Some results vary depending on the vehicle and usage. Some on this forum have said the same thing - some have lots, some have little. OP's engine may be fine and that is how it operates. If it were mine, I would look into everything I could to be sure something wasn't wrong.
I’ve had the can on there for almost 3K miles now. I just emptied it on 8/29 and it’s already full. Something changed here recently and it ain’t good!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Pull the catch can and keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks before you take it in.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
Pull the catch can and keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks before you take it in.
I’m glad I save all my stock parts!

Reactions
I’ve had the can on there for almost 3K miles now. I just emptied it on 8/29 and it’s already full. Something changed here recently and it ain’t good!

Either the catch can catches it or it gets burned up in the combustion chamber along with contaminating other things. Either way, you are loosing oil at an alarming rate. There would be zero proof the catch can is causing the issue, the catch can is only showing a potential problem occuring. If it were me, I wouldn't remove anything. They need to find the issue and not point to what is showing the results of the issue - the catch can is not the, or a, cause of this. Clearly the catch can is allowing flow otherwise it couldn't collect the gunk..

Now to save the potential hastle, removing it ifor a dealer visit sn't a bad idea either. Just tell them that it is going through oil ah a hight rate and then it is in their hands to track it down. I would deffinately make them relay everything that they test and check for and what the results of each was.

I'm sorry to chime in so much. Just trying to help.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Either the catch can catches it or it gets burned up in the combustion chamber along with contaminating other things. Either way, you are loosing oil at an alarming rate. There would be zero proof the catch can is causing the issue, the catch can is only showing a potential problem occuring. If it were me, I wouldn't remove anything. They need to find the issue and not point to what is showing the results of the issue - the catch can is not the, or a, cause of this
I don't think anyone here is disputing the effectiveness of catch cans or blaming it for OP's issue, we're all saying it's a sign of an issue that it fills so fast. The issue is likely, as I said, excessive blow by.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
Either the catch can catches it or it gets burned up in the combustion chamber along with contaminating other things. Either way, you are loosing oil at an alarming rate. There would be zero proof the catch can is causing the issue, the catch can is only showing a potential problem occuring. If it were me, I wouldn't remove anything. They need to find the issue and not point to what is showing the results of the issue - the catch can is not the, or a, cause of this. Clearly the catch can is allowing flow otherwise it couldn't collect the gunk..

Now to save the potential hastle, removing it ifor a dealer visit sn't a bad idea either. Just tell them that it is going through oil ah a hight rate and then it is in their hands to track it down. I would deffinately make them relay everything that they test and check for and what the results of each was.

I'm sorry to chime in so much. Just trying to help.
No need to apologize! I’m looking for all angles here. Anything anyone might have to say could help. I appreciate your comments and I’m sorry if I lead you to believe otherwise!

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
How about crankcase pressure? Is that a PID already in the system?

Explorer ST Posts