Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Catch Can Contents

Reactions
The PCV valve is what releases the crankcase pressure and is what the catch-can attaches to on the inlet side of the catch can. The catch-can outlet side (clean air) goes to the intake after passing through the catch can.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Thread Starter #22
So the sensor on the hose going to the drivers side valve cover should be what monitors the pressure. That means the info is there. Maybe I can find it with Forscan. You’d think I’d get a CEL if were high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #23
Or turbo seal.

Checked the can again today and pulled out about a cup! That's just since Sunday! I took it by a Ford mechanic who owns his own shop now and first thing he said after I told him what is going on was "bad turbo"! However, he pulled the charge pipes off and they are clean. So now he is saying that without digging deeper, his best guess is serious internal problems! Somehow there is excessive crankcase pressure. WTF! Here we go again. Back to the dealership. Going to a different one this time.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Have you checked the oil level in all this? I wonder if the oil isn't draining out of the head(s) properly and then being picked up in to the PCV system.

Reactions
Checked the can again today and pulled out about a cup! That's just since Sunday! I took it by a Ford mechanic who owns his own shop now and first thing he said after I told him what is going on was "bad turbo"! However, he pulled the charge pipes off and they are clean. So now he is saying that without digging deeper, his best guess is serious internal problems! Somehow there is excessive crankcase pressure. WTF! Here we go again. Back to the dealership. Going to a different one this time.
I'm so sorry to hear all of this. Is it under the 3 yr./36k or at least under to 60K powertrain warranty which would cover it?

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #26
Yes. It only has 43K miles on it. I love the vehicle and have put a lot into it but I’m losing faith in its dependability! Then to have to fight with Ford to get it repaired is a whole nother animal! Last time, when the transmission failed, I fought for three month to get them to finally replace it!

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #27
Have you checked the oil level in all this? I wonder if the oil isn't draining out of the head(s) properly and then being picked up in to the PCV system.
Yes. Added a quart and a half.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #29
Bad PCV valve???

Something strange going on for sure.

I hope you're right! I emailed UPR about it and that's what they came up with. When I bought the can I also bought a billet PCV, but apparently ordered the wrong one. The one they said I ordered is a straight through design which is meant for vent to atmosphere applications. Not sure why it was even an option on the page! So, I've put my factory PCV back in place and will check the catch can in a day or two. Hopefully the issue is solved but I think I would've had smoke at start up long before now. It's been a year since I installed it.

Reactions
I hope you're right! I emailed UPR about it and that's what they came up with. When I bought the can I also bought a billet PCV, but apparently ordered the wrong one. The one they said I ordered is a straight through design which is meant for vent to atmosphere applications. Not sure why it was even an option on the page! So, I've put my factory PCV back in place and will check the catch can in a day or two. Hopefully the issue is solved but I think I would've had smoke at start up long before now. It's been a year since I installed it.
Fingers crossed for an easy fix!

Reactions
A PCV valve is a simplistic one way valve. It only prevents anything from draining back but allows built up pressure and mist to travel to in this case, the catch can. I don't see how it being defective by staying open or if not containing the valve at all would be any cause to this issue.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #32
The factory PCV has a much smaller opening and has a weighted check valve inside it with limits the amount of flow out of the engine. I don’t think it’s the issue but I’m remaining optimistic. Either way, what I had in there was wrong and needed to be changed.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I supposed it could be the turbo seal(s) though as mentioned earlier, but not oil leaking out of them, compressed air going into them and into the crank case. You can always pop the oil cap off while it's idling and see if you feel any gases coming out.

Reactions
I supposed it could be the turbo seal(s) though as mentioned earlier, but not oil leaking out of them, compressed air going into them and into the crank case. You can always pop the oil cap off while it's idling and see if you feel any gases coming out.
That’s a great idea imo! You should not feel any significant positive pressure with the cap off. Might have somebody rev the engine while you monitor. Bad sign if you can feel anything blowing out of the lid.

Your mileage is still pretty low but you might try a crankcase cleaner. Might have some drain or something plugged. I’ve used LiquiMoly Pro Line engine flush in the past.

Guessing for sure now.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
That is a very good idea but I think the turbo would have seized up by now with no oil going to it. But I'll try what you said and see what I find. Thanks!

Reactions
Time to get it to the dealer and let them deal with it. We overpay enough for our vehicles, let Ford foot the bill from here and deal with it. Not your problem!