Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ceramic Coating Sprays

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I was planning on having my ST done and had an appointment the first week of December. Was gonna cost me $750, rims included. However, they called and apparently something happened to the guy who does it so they want to push me out until the second week of March now! They offered me $50 off so I kept the appointment but called a few other places. Best price I could find was $1,200! That's $800 for the body and $100/rim! So I want to just use a quick solution for now before winter hits and go with a spray on. I did a lot of searching and came up with these 3: NEXGEN, Torque and Chemical Guys. Does anyone know of something better than any of these?

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #2
I decided to just go with the Chemical Guys Hydrocharge+. Seems to have a lot of good reviews so why not. I know it's not a real ceramic coating but it will at least give me some protection from the salt and sand they use on the roads in Winter. No one may care but I'll post the results just in case someone else is looking.

J368

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I decided to just go with the Chemical Guys Hydrocharge+. Seems to have a lot of good reviews so why not. I know it's not a real ceramic coating but it will at least give me some protection from the salt and sand they use on the roads in Winter. No one may care but I'll post the results just in case someone else is looking.

Def post the results. I'd like to see the before and after, and your thoughts on how much protection it offers.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Looking forward to your comments. I have not been impressed with any of the sprays used alone but likely a lot better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Check out Griot's Ceramic 3 in 1 wax spray. If you do two coats, can last up to 12 months.

I've had 2 vehicles ceramic coated, I don't think I will spend the money on getting it done again. I'll stick to spray sealants for now or eventually try one that a consumer can purchase and do my own paint correction (it's been 10 years since I have done one, I would just need to invest in the tools for it).

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
I got the spray in and decided to try it out on my 07 Ranger first. First impression is pretty good! I did the front fender and door with the ceramic spay and the back door with a spray-on wax detailer. The rear fender is just washed and dried. You can see in the photos that there is a clear difference between the front fender and door and the back door and rear fender. Not much of a difference between the back door and rear fender though. The photos don't really do it justice though. The ceramic spray really give it depth and brings out the paint color. I want to do the entire front end with the ceramic spray, the back with the spray-on wax detailer and see how long it last for. I'll follow up after a few washes with the results.
IMG_5533.jpg
IMG_5534.jpg
IMG_5535.jpg

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Check out Griot's Ceramic 3 in 1 wax spray. If you do two coats, can last up to 12 months.

I've had 2 vehicles ceramic coated, I don't think I will spend the money on getting it done again. I'll stick to spray sealants for now or eventually try one that a consumer can purchase and do my own paint correction (it's been 10 years since I have done one, I would just need to invest in the tools for it).
I checked out this product and the only issue I found was, at 3:50 of the video he says to let it cure for 12 to 24 hours before exposing to the weather. Probably not a big deal though as long as you can keep it in the shade and it doesn't rain. It's certainly less expensive though!

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
It’s been about 9 months since I used this on my Ranger and I’m very pleased with this product! I applied it back in November 2024 and it lasted about 3 months. Applied again the end of February, again in May and it’s time to do it again. It’s easy to apply and it works really well. Repels water and makes washes much easier.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
It really just comes down to longevity of the product. Anything spray on is going to depend on how much ceramic product is in it. The higher the content, the higher the price and better results you'll see.

Like with most things your results will depend on the prep work you do. Correct the paint, prep the surface and even a middle of the road spray on will give you some great results. 'Professional' application your paying for the prep and application of the product that should also have a decent warranty along with it.

Reactions
Love this guys experiments and testing trials videos. Below is his testing video on ceramic coatings for vehicles.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I did a bunch of research a few years ago for a product to use on my Blackwing and decided on the Hybrid Solutions...and it worked great for the whole time I had the car. Like @Chamorro85 said, I did spend quite a bit of time prepping it, and it didn't necessarily live a hard life, but it stood up well til the end. I would've used it again on the ST, but it came with a coating from the dealership.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
Love this guys experiments and testing trials videos. Below is his testing video on ceramic coatings for vehicles.

nteresting video! I just wanted something to get me through until I got the actual ceramic coating done on my ST. But even with no prep on my 2007 Ranger, other than a good wash, it produced great results. I only had to use it on the ST once. I like the results of the Hybrid Solutions though. I think I’m going to try it on the Ranger now that the Chemical Guys has run out.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
If you are like me and wash your car on a weekly basis, I found the following combo works great and honestly the water beading, sheeting, and protection seem on par with my wife's ST that has CeramicPro (actual ceramic coating). I don't have a gloss meter, but, when both cars have been cleaned and I asked buddies to see if they can tell which one is coated or not, they cannot tell the difference by smoothness, gloss, or hydrophobic.

Griot's 3-1 Ceramic Wax and after every wash, top it off with Armour Detail Supply Amplify. A little goes a long way with Amplify.

Before applying Griot's 3-1 Ceramic wax, I did iron remover, clay, and a quick polish to remove any fine swirls and scratches. I applied two coats of Griots, following their instructions.

Benefits of spray vs coating for me... if I need to remove a scratch, I don't have to worry about re-applying the coating. If I get swirls and want to do a quick paint enhancement, I don't have to wait until the coating is gone (typically 2-5 years).

F=MA

Reactions
It’s been about 9 months since I used this on my Ranger and I’m very pleased with this product! I applied it back in November 2024 and it lasted about 3 months. Applied again the end of February, again in May and it’s time to do it again. It’s easy to apply and it works really well. Repels water and makes washes much easier.

More interested how you time travelled back to November 2024 !!

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
More interested how you time travelled back to November 2024 !!
LOL! I’ve been found out!