Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Considering used ST

Matt2172

Reactions
Vehicle
Alfa Romeo
I’m crossshopping used (2020-2022) explorer ST/plat , Durango rt Honda pilot and Hyundai palisade. Looking for a capable “bug-out” ride if we gotta head for the hills for when the s&$@t hits the fan..

a few questions though;
What’s this wagon’s 0-60 time, is it anything to get excited about.? Ie can I outrun the cops/zombies/whoever while towing stuff?

But most importantly, if I gotta build something in the mountains I need to get lumber; so can I get a sheet of plywood in this?

my other concern is tow capacity: it’s way less than Durango r/t even though engine has significantly more power . What’s up with that!?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Replied to your PM.

ST vs R/T, stock for stock, ST is quicker.
ST is smaller than the R/T and makes more HP.
ST has more potential up to a certain point. R/T guys do Hellcat blower swaps and run low 10's/high 9's with supporting mods consistently. Engine/Trans on the R/T are definitely much stronger and can handle a lot of power being thrown at them.
MPG - ST wins in this department, hands down.
Comfort - user preference. My R/T had better seats and more leg room, compared to my ST.
ST seems to have a lot more quality issues compared to my R/T.
Price point - ST is a bit more expensive compared to the R/T.

You can get used Hellcats for close to the same price as a brand new ST, maybe within about 10K of the ST.

A lot of the guys will crap all over the hellcats being slow, but once they race one with a smaller pulley, better tires and a bit of weight reduction (they are fat, heavy pigs), it's game over for the ST.

The other cars are in completely difference classes and do not really compete with an R/T or ST. Honda/Hyundai are more reliable than both, but do not have modding potential and the fun factor of the ST or R./T,

-Chris

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Replied to your PM.

ST vs R/T, stock for stock, ST is quicker.
ST is smaller than the R/T and makes more HP.
ST has more potential up to a certain point. R/T guys do Hellcat blower swaps and run low 10's/high 9's with supporting mods consistently. Engine/Trans on the R/T are definitely much stronger and can handle a lot of power being thrown at them.
MPG - ST wins in this department, hands down.
Comfort - user preference. My R/T had better seats and more leg room, compared to my ST.
ST seems to have a lot more quality issues compared to my R/T.
Price point - ST is a bit more expensive compared to the R/T.

You can get used Hellcats for close to the same price as a brand new ST, maybe within about 10K of the ST.

A lot of the guys will crap all over the hellcats being slow, but once they race one with a smaller pulley, better tires and a bit of weight reduction (they are fat, heavy pigs), it's game over for the ST.

The other cars are in completely difference classes and do not really compete with an R/T or ST. Honda/Hyundai are more reliable than both, but do not have modding potential and the fun factor of the ST or R./T,

-Chris
With the right mods the ST will beat the Hellcat from a dig, these things can really find grip. From a roll the Hellcats will be better, as HP eventually comes into play. I never considered the Durango’s because the extremely outdated technology, and the looks aren’t my type. With the right mods, the ST is plenty fast, and for the price point is incomparable to the Durango 392 or Hellcat. Sure you could get a used Durango for same price as new ST, but you don’t know history of Durango. Used for used, the ST is significantly less.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Interesting post. Your limit will always be how much you want to spend. What will you tow? Regardless of whether you go ST or hellcat durango or RT Durango or one of the japanese / korean suvs, you can have as much fun as your budget will allow. I call these ST’s the Trackhawks from WISH. No worries about being held up at gunpoint like all the hellcats, and the ability to make it as fast as you’d like.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sheet of plywood will not fit in my ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sheet of plywood will not fit in my ST.

I have my doubts that a sheet of plywood will fit in any SUV. Sounds like he needs a long bed pickup.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have my doubts that a sheet of plywood will fit in any SUV. Sounds like he needs a long bed pickup.
Minivan the only non-truck I’ve had that holds a sheet. All my buds gave me shit when I bought the first. Then they all wanted to borrow it

Other end of the spectrum from the ST.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Minivan the only non-truck I’ve had that holds a sheet. All my buds gave me shit when I bought the first. Then they all wanted to borrow it

Other end of the spectrum from the ST.

IMG_2692.jpeg
Hey can’t argue they function perfectly and they are convenient….but why be convenient when you can buy and ST and spend a lot of money making it fast. Might as well be inconvenient and expensive…and fast.

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Stay away from Durango R/T!
I had purchased a new 2023 R/T 5.7 and Dodge had to replace the engine in the first 5,000 miles due to a block that wasn’t milled correctly and spewed oil everywhere. Second engine started leaking oil at around 4,000 miles and Dodge stated that block wasn’t correct either.
Traded it on a new ST and never looked back!

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Dodge = trash