Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

“Creaky” steering.

BorrowedTime

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hello everyone,

So…we have some “creaky” steering going on with our 2020 ST (32k miles). It is noticeable at a stop or while moving at slow speeds. I’m sure it’s there at higher speeds but we can’t hear it due to wind noise, etc. I had my wife turn the wheel back and forth while in the garage with the hood open and engine running, and I’m almost certain the steering box/knuckle appears loose while hearing the noise. It might be something loose on the power steering rack as well. Not 100% sure at this point but it is noticeable enough to be embarrassing at slow speeds in parking lots and so forth.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so, what was your issue and subsequent solution?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Joel

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Hello everyone,

So…we have some “creaky” steering going on with our 2020 ST (32k miles). It is noticeable at a stop or while moving at slow speeds. I’m sure it’s there at higher speeds but we can’t hear it due to wind noise, etc. I had my wife turn the wheel back and forth while in the garage with the hood open and engine running, and I’m almost certain the steering box/knuckle appears loose while hearing the noise. It might be something loose on the power steering rack as well. Not 100% sure at this point but it is noticeable enough to be embarrassing at slow speeds in parking lots and so forth.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so, what was your issue and subsequent solution?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Joel
I have heard of this problem happening to anyone before. Are you still under warranty?

OP
B

BorrowedTime

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Unfortunately, no longer under warranty. So, this is a known issue to occur in rare instances?

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Unfortunately, no longer under warranty. So, this is a known issue to occur in rare instances?
No, I’ve never ever seen this issue from my all the time I’ve been around the forum and all the groups.

OP
B

BorrowedTime

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
No, I’ve never ever seen this issue from my all the time I’ve been around the forum and all the groups.
Well, at least that’s a good thing on one hand. I’ll report back once I figure this out.