Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cruise control switch

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Anybody know if the whole steering wheel needs to be removed to replace the cruise control switch (circled blue) or air bag removed? Or does the black trim piece (highlighted yellow) come of with a pry tool without removing air bag or steering wheel, thanks in advance.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Any idea what scratched off the RES?

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Looks like the paint is coming off the RES I noticed it when I bought it a couple years ago started as a little speck, the volume down button is starting to peel too hence why Im asking how to replace it, I can get a new switch for around 35 bucks.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer
If it's like my 2016 F-150, there are two holes on the backside of the steering wheel (3 and 9 position) to release the airbag. I don't remember how to actuate the release. Remember to disconnect the battery first. After releasing the airbag, you should be able to unscrew the switch.

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
If it's like my 2016 F-150, there are two holes on the backside of the steering wheel (3 and 9 position) to release the airbag. I don't remember how to actuate the release. Remember to disconnect the battery first. After releasing the airbag, you should be able to unscrew the switch.
Ah ok thats what I thought, was hoping that the gloss black trim just popped off instead Ive removed the airbag and steering wheel on my Z and Duramax before with that same method usually to screws on the back side like you stated, thanks for the info!

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer
Ah ok thats what I thought, was hoping that the gloss black trim just popped off instead Ive removed the airbag and steering wheel on my Z and Duramax before with that same method usually to screws on the back side like you stated, thanks for the info!
I don't think that it's screws. If I remember correctly, you have to poke something in there to release the holder.

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I don't think that it's screws. If I remember correctly, you have to poke something in there to release the holder.
Ah ok, ill take a look this weekend I remember screws on my 04 Duramax, but totally different vehicle and alot newer haha thanks!

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
No matter what you do, the airbag has to come off to access anything on the steering wheel. Everything is under the airbag.

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
No matter what you do, the airbag has to come off to access anything on the steering wheel. Everything is under the airbag.
Good to know, I assumed that was the case just looked like the gloss trim could pop off but didnt want to break anything trying to pop it off with the pry tool, thanks!

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Every setup is different, but once you get the airbag off, there should be screws under there that hold the switch panels in place and most likely the trim ring around the switches will come off with it, and the switch panel may have screws on the back of the trim ring that bolts the two together. Once you're in there, you'll see what I mean.

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Every setup is different, but once you get the airbag off, there should be screws under there that hold the switch panels in place and most likely the trim ring around the switches will come off with it, and the switch panel may have screws on the back of the trim ring that bolts the two together. Once you're in there, you'll see what I mean.
Sweet! thanks for the info, going to tackle it this weekend hopefully.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer
On the F-150, it was recommended to remove the negative battery terminal and let the truck sit for 10-15 minutes. This is supposed to drain any energy and reduce the risk of the airbag deploying. Then use a long 3mm Allen Key. Push it into each of the holes. You should feel the wire spring. Pushing the spring in is supposed to release it. Once you've done both sides, the airbag should come out. I think on some vehicles there is another point at the bottom of the steering wheel that needs to be pushed as well.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer
Just checked. There are 2 holes, at roughly the 4:30 and 7:30 position.

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
Perfect! thanks for the info everyone, ill let you know how it goes

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
On the ford performance website there is a raptor to 150 steering wheel
An excellent instruction sheet on those buttons.
O know wheel is different..but ford is a huge commonality builder
Might glean some idea how it's held in
The 2 holes on back seem very common
Maybe it helps

OP
21STBlkout
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
On the ford performance website there is a raptor to 150 steering wheel
An excellent instruction sheet on those buttons.
O know wheel is different..but ford is a huge commonality builder
Might glean some idea how it's held in
The 2 holes on back seem very common
Maybe it helps
Ill take a look, thanks very much!