Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Diff oil early change on new vehicle?

Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Explorer ST
Greetings folks. Curious of folk's take on diff oil early change for its first change on a new vehicle. I always do an engine oil change around the first 800-1000 miles for good measure. Cheap and easy to do.

Now I'm thinking about the diffs, especially the rear. Seems some folks have had to have their rear diffs replaced under warranty. Looking to do anything to prevent issues. I know diffs have a magnet plug on them usually to collect any wear particles, especially after new. My logic is maybe the magnets in use aren't strong enough or reach capacity too quickly during the first miles when new that can cause problems.

What are folks opinions? For those who have changed diff oil after thousands of miles with a new vehicle, how bad was the magnet collected material?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Greetings folks. Curious of folk's take on diff oil early change for its first change on a new vehicle. I always do an engine oil change around the first 800-1000 miles for good measure. Cheap and easy to do.

Now I'm thinking about the diffs, especially the rear. Seems some folks have had to have their rear diffs replaced under warranty. Looking to do anything to prevent issues. I know diffs have a magnet plug on them usually to collect any wear particles, especially after new. My logic is maybe the magnets in use aren't strong enough or reach capacity too quickly during the first miles when new that can cause problems.

What are folks opinions? For those who have changed diff oil after thousands of miles with a new vehicle, how bad was the magnet collected material?
I changed my diffs when I was upgrading to a 4 bolt crossmember at about 5k miles. On the many trucks I had for my business I changed after the first 500 miles of towing as recommended. I waited until 5k because I don’t tow.

IMO there is a big benefit to changing once the gears are broken in. The crap that came out of my trucks had lots of powdered metal in it from gears seating. Subsequent changes (70-100k)were much cleaner.

Cheap insurance getting that crap out imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk