Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

DIY Brake Change

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
My '20 ST didn't include the road and track pack but they opted for the 21" rims. I want to swap out the existing brakes to the Power Stop Z23 sport brakes myself but I'm not sure that the tools I have make the job worth it as I'm getting quotes in the high $200 range to swap out the brakes if I supply the Power Stop kit myself. I have plenty of hand tools, a solid impact driver, electric ratchet, etc. I also have a small floor jack and I can borrow 2 jack stands from a friend. Do I have most of the tools needed to change out the rotors and pads myself? I also want to attempt the change myself, because I'd like to take the time to spray paint the calipers since mine are plain. Thoughts?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
First…just the 21’s weren’t an option so that’s something that was added after the car was sold.
Second…look up how to put the car in Brake Service Mode…do that and it’s a standard parts swap after. You won’t have any need to bleed the brakes…just pop off the calipers, swap rotors, replace the calipers with new pads and close it back up.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
First…just the 21’s weren’t an option so that’s something that was added after the car was sold.
Second…look up how to put the car in Brake Service Mode…do that and it’s a standard parts swap after. You won’t have any need to bleed the brakes…just pop off the calipers, swap rotors, replace the calipers with new pads and close it back up.
Good to know. Thanks for the correction!

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Doing your own brakes is a great entry to doing your own service. Requires minimum tools, tons of videos and help online (youtube & here). Unbroken mentioned the service mode...beyond that just pay attention to your lift points and enjoy the money savings with a job done yourself!

Even being your first time doing anything like this, not including any painting, the the brakes shouldn't take you more than a couple hours. With the painting thats a bit more involved. Prepping the calipers, prime, paint, etc. Plenty of tutorials on youtube about painting them without removing the calipers at all.

Good luck and make sure you document your work to share!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
FYI if you’re gonna paint the calipers, obviously prep is key. There’s nothing better on the planet than Alumibrite to get those old parts spotless and ready to coat. You can get a bottle at Home Depot…just use rubber gloves because it’s an acid and will definitely take your fingernails if it gets on you for too long.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
As @UNBROKEN mentioned mentioned, standard brake job after setting the rears. Don’t know if you are interested but I have a take off full set of the street pack calipers, rotors, and pads sitting in my garage from my big brake upgrade. Maybe 15k on them. Reach out if interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
My '20 ST didn't include the road and track pack but they opted for the 21" rims. I want to swap out the existing brakes to the Power Stop Z23 sport brakes myself but I'm not sure that the tools I have make the job worth it as I'm getting quotes in the high $200 range to swap out the brakes if I supply the Power Stop kit myself. I have plenty of hand tools, a solid impact driver, electric ratchet, etc. I also have a small floor jack and I can borrow 2 jack stands from a friend. Do I have most of the tools needed to change out the rotors and pads myself? I also want to attempt the change myself, because I'd like to take the time to spray paint the calipers since mine are plain. Thoughts?
FYI Don’t expect any difference with PowerStop setup, they look better but have zero performance gain usually.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Doing your own brakes is a great entry to doing your own service. Requires minimum tools, tons of videos and help online (youtube & here). Unbroken mentioned the service mode...beyond that just pay attention to your lift points and enjoy the money savings with a job done yourself!

Even being your first time doing anything like this, not including any painting, the the brakes shouldn't take you more than a couple hours. With the painting thats a bit more involved. Prepping the calipers, prime, paint, etc. Plenty of tutorials on youtube about painting them without removing the calipers at all.

Good luck and make sure you document your work to share!

Done a couple of brake jobs myself already in the past but it was on cars that are 20 years old or older nowadays. Wasn't sure with the newer vehicles if there were new methods/tools/procedures that would require new tool purchase or knowledge etcetera. Looks like brake service mode is fairly easy to get into to.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
FYI if you’re gonna paint the calipers, obviously prep is key. There’s nothing better on the planet than Alumibrite to get those old parts spotless and ready to coat. You can get a bottle at Home Depot…just use rubber gloves because it’s an acid and will definitely take your fingernails if it gets on you for too long.
Alumibrite is amazing stuff! Used to be a manager at Home Depot and loved to recommend that stuff. It's like barkeepers friend for car parts. My calipers look pretty good already though before the prep. I was just thinking of hitting it with some Kilz spray primer after some light cleaning and brushing with Brakleen. Then was thinking a regular Rustoleum after the primer.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
FYI Don’t expect any difference with PowerStop setup, they look better but have zero performance gain usually.
Wasn't expecting a performance gain on the brakes although I do expect them to be a little bit better as I still have the smaller sized stock brakes and there's 103K miles on them already.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Alumibrite is amazing stuff! Used to be a manager at Home Depot and loved to recommend that stuff. It's like barkeepers friend for car parts. My calipers look pretty good already though before the prep. I was just thinking of hitting it with some Kilz spray primer after some light cleaning and brushing with Brakleen. Then was thinking a regular Rustoleum after the primer.
If you use Rustoleum you’ll be doing them again before long. The only thing on the market really worth using is the stuff from G2 Caliper Paint.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
You can save yourself a ton of work and take @Cruising68 up on that offer. That would be a couple more steps work than from chasing pads and rotors but you're taking them off anyways. Might as well get some calipers already painted and a slight upgrade.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
You can save yourself a ton of work and take @Cruising68 up on that offer. That would be a couple more steps work than from chasing pads and rotors but you're taking them off anyways. Might as well get some calipers already painted and a slight upgrade.

It was a consideration but due to distance and shipping it wouldn't really save me much.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
If you use Rustoleum you’ll be doing them again before long. The only thing on the market really worth using is the stuff from G2 Caliper Paint.
I'll check them out. I hated hot paint because it didn't come in a variety of colors but I had lots of people use regular rustoleum spray paint and have pretty good success on painting calipers and it maintaining over time. I think prep of the surface is probably the biggest factor and not the surrounding heat.