Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Drone noise

Reactions
Just wondering if anyone has any clues to what it could be. When I excelorate anything above 50 km an hour I get a droning noise that wil not go away. Also this happens in any drive mode. thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Could be a leak in the exhaust. Can you tell where it's coming from? front or back.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Do you have the stock exhaust?

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I do have stock exhaust. It's really hard to tell where it is coming from. Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the middle of the vehicle & sometimes it sounds like under the hood. I have to get my wife to drive while I can listen to try to determine roughly where it's coming from. It's driving my nuts lol

Jetiemann

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Does the sound change with MPH or with RPM?

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Get the midpipes checked.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Does the sound change with MPH or with RPM?
Yes the sound does change when I give it gas. Or when I'm on cruise control . It gets louder in an annoying way just in a Drone noise way. When I press the brakes or coast down in speed the noise goes away.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You obviously have a broken stock exhaust. It would behoove you to figure out where before it falls apart driving down the highway.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
You obviously have a broken stock exhaust. It would behoove you to figure out where before it falls apart driving down the highway.
Thank you. I really appreciate your input. I will be having it in the shop later this week & report back with the findings. Thank you again

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Ok so I went to a very resp muffler place & they found nothing wrong . I even went for a test drive with the guy & of course I could not reproduce the noise. But as soon as I got on the hyw the noise suddenly came back & has not gone away. I forgot to mention that I did a full brake job on the truck front & back. Rotors, pads clips were all replaced & slider pins cleaned & relubed. I checked everything recently with the brakes & they are fine. No unusual wear marks in the Rotors or anything.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Ok so I went to a very resp muffler place & they found nothing wrong . I even went for a test drive with the guy & of course I could not reproduce the noise. But as soon as I got on the hyw the noise suddenly came back & has not gone away. I forgot to mention that I did a full brake job on the truck front & back. Rotors, pads clips were all replaced & slider pins cleaned & relubed. I checked everything recently with the brakes & they are fine. No unusual wear marks in the Rotors or anything.
Give a little bit more info.
How many miles do you have on the ST?
What year is the ST?
Has it always done this?
Could it be tire hum?
Go back to the muffler shop and have the guy ride with you again now that the noise is back.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
I have 86000km it's a 2020 st, it has never done this before. It kinda sounds like a vacuum leak but I could be wrong. Hope that helps & thank you for your reply​

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have 86000km it's a 2020 st, it has never done this before. It kinda sounds like a vacuum leak but I could be wrong. Hope that helps & thank you for your reply​
Thanks for the reply.

Very hard to figure out what is going on with so many variables. Suggest finding a road that it made the noise on near a dealership or a shop you trust and then ask them to take a ride with you on that same road.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I was thinking
Find a shop with a 4 wheel roller dyno
Get it to that speed and then listen
Rollers will remove air speed noises
I know it's a pricey thing

When were tires last balanced and are weights still intact
Or put it up on a lift.
Take a small wood dowel and start tapping the exhaust front to back see what sounds off or rattling
Do it right afyer car is hot
Then again once it cools

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Are you saying the noise started after you did the brake job or no?

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
I'm starting to think that but I can't be sure because I usually have my music pretty loud & for the last little bit I've kept my music very low or off.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
I was thinking
Find a shop with a 4 wheel roller dyno
Get it to that speed and then listen
Rollers will remove air speed noises
I know it's a pricey thing

When were tires last balanced and are weights still intact
Or put it up on a lift.
Take a small wood dowel and start tapping the exhaust front to back see what sounds off or rattling
Do it right afyer car is hot
Then again once it cools
Interesting. Sounds like a great solution. Some to consider for sure. Thank you.