Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ebay IC

Reactions
Not my pic, but looks like I won't be the first to install this.

Another person said they've had it for a few months with a tune, no issues. Their dragy was in the usual expected range.

FB_IMG_1713538737619.jpg

I just found that I have a bad driver CV axle and the front axle disconnect actuator leak. Intercooler install will have to wait until those are sorted out at the dealer in May...

Last edited:
Reactions
I finally installed the ebay IC today.

It went pretty smoothly, nothing unusual for an IC install on this car. The only hiccup I had was that the supplied bolt for the MAP sensor was too short. I had a feeling that would happen when I compared the supplied hardware to the Mishimoto hardware. A quick trip to Lowes took care of that.

20240524_132116.jpg

I am using Torque Pro to watch charge air temps. Can anyone confirm if I'm using the right PIDs? I believe Intake is the temp of the air after the filter, and IAT2 is the air temp after the intercooler.

Screenshot_20240524_202808_Torque.jpg

This screenshot was immediately after letting off from a WOT pull to redline.

I think I can feel a difference in the car. It pulls more consistently and it feels like there is a little more oomph up top too.

Reactions
Just an update now that it's very hot out:

Intercooler seems to be doing its job. I picked up a Cobb Accessport and have started tuning with Alan Jackson at Edgeautosport. Here's a datalog I took during a hot summer evening in the 80s, charge air temps were in the 90s during a pull.

https://datazap.me/u/jwuonog/explorer-st-5th-gear-pull?log=0&data=4-7

Last edited:

cowanbw

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
Just an update now that it's very hot out:

Intercooler seems to be doing its job. I picked up a Cobb Accessport and have started tuning with Alan Jackson at Edgeautosport. Here's a datalog I took during a hot summer evening in the 80s, charge air temps were in the 90s during a pull.

https://datazap.me/u/jwuonog/explorer-st-5th-gear-pull?log=0&data=4-7
Have any more data you can share? I’m currently looking at these ICs and trying to decide if eBay is worth it. I’ve had several other cars where they worked out great so if I can save a few hundred bucks I’d be happy.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Have any more data you can share? I’m currently looking at these ICs and trying to decide if eBay is worth it. I’ve had several other cars where they worked out great so if I can save a few hundred bucks I’d be happy.
Just get the CV Fab…do your car a favor.

Reactions
I'll upload some more datalogs later today.

Reactions
datazap.me | jwuonog | Explorer ST Quarter Mile 12.6

Here is a datalog of a Dragy run. I had just done a few Dragy runs prior to this one. It was 77 degrees, and 73.7% humidity. (I think humidity affects the IC's performance?)

You can click on different items in that link to toggle them. Look at Charge Air Temp and Engine RPM. You can see that the temps slowly climb during the run.

I think the brand name ones do a better job of keeping temps down over the course of a several-gear pull. My sample size is small, but I do think the other ICs perform better. My tuner has a CVFAB and I think his was doing a bit better over a quarter mile run.

If anyone has any datalogs with other intercoolers, that would be a helpful comparison. You can upload them to datazap.me.

Would I recommend it? I'd say it depends on your use case and your budget. It's is still a huge improvement over stock, and for my use case (wife's daily), I'm fine with it for now.

In my experience, the IC keeps charge temps about 10-15 degrees above ambient, except for very humid and hot days, it climbed a little higher. I haven't had it in colder weather yet.

Attachments

Last edited: