Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Engine Oil

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi All,
I'm just a tad over 70k miles. Saw a good deal on Mobil1 5W 30 but it's the high mileage variety. I'm assuming I qualify for that?
Has anyone had any adverse effects with this mix?

Reactions
To the best of my knowledge, the only thing different between high mileage oils and regular mileage oils is that the HM versions just have a higher level of anti-wear additives and seal conditioning additives. Otherwise shouldn’t make all that much difference so I wouldn’t see why there would be adverse affects.

Mixture of opinion and various accumulated tidbits of info over a number of years. Take it with a grain of sand, your mileage may vary.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
To the best of my knowledge, the only thing different between high mileage oils and regular mileage oils is that the HM versions just have a higher level of anti-wear additives and seal conditioning additives. Otherwise shouldn’t make all that much difference so I wouldn’t see why there would be adverse affects.

Mixture of opinion and various accumulated tidbits of info over a number of years. Take it with a grain of sand, your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the hit and duly noted!

GrocreyGetter

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
anyone run Liqui Moly before? I have never heard anyone bash it. I know its praised in the German market, they have been turboing cars for a long time and I'd assume it would be oil to use.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
A thread about oil can evoke all sorts of emotional responses. You can spend high or low on oil depending on the brand. Best option is to use 5W 30 as required by Ford and change sooner than what the oil life monitor indicates. I don't think you can go wrong with Mobil One, but would 70,000 miles be considered high mileage in a modern car? Not sure.
Ligui Moly would be considered a premium oil outside of Europe.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
107K on the clock…regular Mobil 1 whenever the dash goes off…no early services. Tuned on 93 and E50 since 5K miles. Car runs like new.

Explorer ST Posts