Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Exhaust system is junk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The exhaust pipe on my 2021 ST with 53,300 miles broke off the catalytic converter on the passenger side on Sunday afternoon. The weld broke at the bottom of the converter. I had to have the car towed home. The pipe was dragging the ground. My ST isn't part of the customer notification. It's a known problem but no recall. About 2 months ago, the weld broke on the tail side of the muffler. I took it to the dealer to see if it was covered under warranty. They gave me a price of $3200 to fix it. No way. I took it to an exhaust place near me and they charged About $200 to weld it in place.
The issue on Sunday could have been disastrous if I was on the highway.
Make sure that you get the extended warranty, maybe it'll cover it.
I've had Fords for 40 years and this is my first crap experience.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The converters are covered for 8 years or 80K miles. That’s federal…not Ford. They have to fix it.
Your exhaust shop sucks too though…average cost is 20 bucks a weld. If you only had one spot break it shouldn’t have cost much more than that unless they had to do some fab work.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
The exhaust pipe on my 2021 ST with 53,300 miles broke off the catalytic converter on the passenger side on Sunday afternoon. The weld broke at the bottom of the converter. I had to have the car towed home. The pipe was dragging the ground. My ST isn't part of the customer notification. It's a known problem but no recall. About 2 months ago, the weld broke on the tail side of the muffler. I took it to the dealer to see if it was covered under warranty. They gave me a price of $3200 to fix it. No way. I took it to an exhaust place near me and they charged About $200 to weld it in place.
Wow both those prices seem really expensive. $3k for an exhaust is 2x times more then a Thermal exhaust.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Are dealers pretending not to know about the federal emissions warranty? This is not the first time I've heard of dealers quoting a repair cost after the powertrain warranty has expired, with no mention of the federal coverage.

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
The converters are covered for 8 years or 80K miles. That’s federal…not Ford. They have to fix it.
Your exhaust shop sucks too though…average cost is 20 bucks a weld. If you only had one spot break it shouldn’t have cost much more than that unless they had to do some fab work.
Thanks

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Wow both those prices seem really expensive. $3k for an exhaust is 2x times more then a Thermal exhaust.
It was ridiculous

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Are dealers pretending not to know about the federal emissions warranty? This is not the first time I've heard of dealers quoting a repair cost after the powertrain warranty has expired, with no mention of the federal coverage.
Dealership ripoff?? Who'd have thunk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
If a dealer quote me $3k for an exhaust, I'd buy a Thermal, have ANYONE ELSE install it, and laugh the whole time my sexy exhaust made a note from then on.

irontmp

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
BMW
The exhaust pipe on my 2021 ST with 53,300 miles broke off the catalytic converter on the passenger side on Sunday afternoon. The weld broke at the bottom of the converter. I had to have the car towed home. The pipe was dragging the ground. My ST isn't part of the customer notification. It's a known problem but no recall. About 2 months ago Exhaust Systems for Cars, the weld broke on the tail side of the muffler. I took it to the dealer to see if it was covered under warranty. They gave me a price of $3200 to fix it. No way. I took it to an exhaust place near me and they charged About $200 to weld it in place.
I was wondering if it's worth getting an aftermarket exhaust for an automatic IS300? Not necessary worth, but if it's generally frowned upon.. Plus I imagine it'd be a little ricey/embarrassing to hear the quick gear changes at launch, instead of actual shifts by a manual. I don't want a loud obnoxious exhaust, just something a little deeper toned than stock

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I was wondering if it's worth getting an aftermarket exhaust for an automatic IS300? Not necessary worth, but if it's generally frowned upon.. Plus I imagine it'd be a little ricey/embarrassing to hear the quick gear changes at launch, instead of actual shifts by a manual. I don't want a loud obnoxious exhaust, just something a little deeper toned than stock
An IS300 as in a Lexus?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I am totally lost here, are we talking about an explorer?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I am totally lost here, are we talking about an explorer?
We should be; thats why the forum is called explorerst.org . I am wondering why he’s asking about a Lexus.