Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer ST Exhaust And Mods Suggestions For So Cal

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I just purchased my first Ford CPO ST and know nothing about what I can get away with if I add exhaust in So Cal. We all know the laws are crap here! I was thinking of the Gibson axle back system for better sound or a Borla S Type cat back system. I’ve also heard a ton of good things about the Thermal and AWE systems as well! I’m not looking to build a race car, I just want a faster daily driver with mods that I don’t have to worry about getting pulled over for. I will do other mods in the future (intercooler, tune, intake etc.). How would you build your car (starting with exhaust) if you wanted to remain under the radar? Yes, I will move sooner or later but no time soon lol.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I just purchased my first Ford CPO ST and know nothing about what I can get away with if I add exhaust in So Cal. We all know the laws are crap here! I was thinking of the Gibson axle back system for better sound or a Borla S Type cat back system. I’ve also heard a ton of good things about the Thermal and AWE systems as well! I’m not looking to build a race car, I just want a faster daily driver with mods that I don’t have to worry about getting pulled over for. I will do other mods in the future (intercooler, tune, intake etc.). How would you build your car (starting with exhaust) if you wanted to remain under the radar? Yes, I will move sooner or later but no time soon lol.
I would start in this order: intercooler, ZFG tune, all the suspension mods (vertical links, subframe bushing, diff brace (if you have the 1-bolt). Those shouldn’t be too apparent at all as long as you don’t go crazy with the different finishes (although I don’t see why not). Here’s a modding guide that you might find useful:

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/explorer-st-modding-101-guide.7324/

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Intercooler, suspension stuff, and the cat-back exhausts (just go Thermal) are all fine.

None of the CAIs are CARB legal, although I believe AFE is working on that. Don't quote me though.

Obviously, all DPs are a no-no but only if the smog tech is looking closely. The Whoosh ones with the integral heat shields could almost pass for a factory exhaust component.

For a tune, the Cobb OTS tunes are all CARB legal, so if you just want an extra 40hp or so with surprisingly good shifting, a Cobb Accessport is a great option. If you go with a big-boy tune (ZFG using HPTuners or Goosetuned or Tune Plus using the Cobb AP) you'll have to switch back to stock for the smog check.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Intercooler, suspension stuff, and the cat-back exhausts (just go Thermal) are all fine.

None of the CAIs are CARB legal, although I believe AFE is working on that. Don't quote me though.

Obviously, all DPs are a no-no but only if the smog tech is looking closely. The Whoosh ones with the integral heat shields could almost pass for a factory exhaust component.

For a tune, the Cobb OTS tunes are all CARB legal, so if you just want an extra 40hp or so with surprisingly good shifting, a Cobb Accessport is a great option. If you go with a big-boy tune (ZFG using HPTuners or Goosetuned or Tune Plus using the Cobb AP) you'll have to switch back to stock for the smog check.
All the CAI are not worth it anyway so not a big deal I believe.