Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer ST Modding 101 Guide

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Hello everyone:

As much as I know @UNBROKEN loves answering questions about "is an intake worth it" or "what exhaust system gives me the best gains" I have pulled quite a bit of information regarding aftermarket parts for the 2020-2024 Explorer ST. I hope this helps everyone and this would be awesome if it got stickied by @STFan so all of my work doesn't get lost. I would also like to add I am not affiliated with any of the companies mentioned, and regrettably, nor do I have any of the aftermarket products installed on my vehicle.

I definitely missed a couple of parts and feel free to call me out on my mistakes/missing info. Let me know how you like this also! I am in the process of updating with new parts and adding photos.

I present to you the Explorer ST Modding 101 Guide. Hope you guys find it useful!

Last edited:
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thread Starter #2
Brakes
OIP.jpg

If you run the Sport-Technology (ST) Explorer hard, and are tired of brake fade, you might want to look into a brake upgrade. Brake upgrades range from just a rotor and pad change, all the way to 8-piston caliper, 405-MM rotor brake kits.

Stainless Steel Brake Lines
fbl36.jpg

The best brake upgrade, whether you have a BBK (usually they should come with SS lines) or stock brakes are a set of Stainless-Steel Brake Lines. Stock rubber lines will swell and stretch when pushed hard, causing a mushy brake feel, diminishing brake feel, and poor braking. Stainless steel brake lines will not do that, and improve brake feel, and slow down brake fade.

Stock Brake Upgrade
PowerStop Z23
1-click-rear-solid-brake-kit.jpg

An upgrade is the PowerStop Z23 upgrade. It includes slotted and drilled rotors (which look neat behind the wheels), and performance pads. It is a great looking upgrade if you don’t want to fork over the larger price of a BBK (Big Brake Kit), but want some better looks. You will probably not see any brake distance improvements.

Big Brake Kit
BBK is going to be the ultimate brake upgrade, will eliminate brake fade, improve braking distance, and have a great brake pedal feel.

Shelby GT350 Front Brake Kit + Adapter Brackets
M-2300-Y-3-768x768.jpg

One of the best just-front BBK is the GT350 front brake upgrade. To work, this uses the stock GT350 6-piston calipers, 15.5-IN. rotors, and adapter brackets from Tony Hernandez on Facebook. It is a great kit for a great price, and costs just less than $1,700 if you use the GT350R brakes (which are red) and less than $1,500 if you use the regular GT350 brakes (which are black). If you are still using stock wheels, then you need to use 1” spacers, which isn’t all bad. 1” spacers will give the front wheels a perfect stance. Sadly, you can’t use the rear GT350 brakes since they aren’t compatible with our electronic parking brake.

GT500 Front Brakes + Adapter Brackets
1717689937189.png

Just like the GT350 Brake swap, the 2020-23 GT500 brakes will swap over very easily. Using the massive stock GT500 6-piston calipers, 16.5-In. rotors, and adapters from Tony Hernandez, this is an awesome upgrade, my personal favorite.

Trackhawk Front Calipers + Racing Brake Rotors and Mounting Hardware
2686-explorer-400__79291.jpg

Another just-front BBK choice is using Trackhawk Front Calipers and Racing Brakes Rotors and Hardware. This is comparative to the GT350 swap, but is probably $1k more. The rotors and hardware from RB alone WITHOUT the calipers is the price of the whole GT350 brake swap. It would be a good option, but the GT350 brakes are a better option because of the price.

SuperForged
1717690097979.png
SuperForged is the best choice if you want to go all out with a front and rear BBK. SuperForged’s brake kit includes 405-MM front rotors clamped by 6-piston calipers, 380-MM rear rotors clamped by 4-piston brakes, stainless steel brake lines, all the mounting hardware, and an 1-piston caliper for the parking brake (although there is a $100 option to integrate the parking brake into the caliper, which I assume saves unsprang weight). This kit retails for a fair value of $3,800.

Rotora
This is the ultimate bragging rights kit. Rotora has many options for BBK, but they all come at a price. All feature 8-piston front calipers and 4-piston calipers in the rear. The kit is just too expensive. The price for a front kit alone is the price of a front and rear Superforged kit. The performance benefit is not better either. In this case, bigger and more expensive is not better.

Last edited:
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thread Starter #3
Drivetrain

Built Transmission
OIP.jpg
The 10r60 is a pretty stout transmission in stock form, but if you are launching with a tune often or have a trans-brake, then you will need a built transmission. Getting a built transmission will give you the peace of mind of knowing that the tranny can handle anything you throw at it. RSA Transmission is highly recommended, and their work can be vouched for by the fact they hold the crown for the fastest ST with which they have done dozens of extremely hard launches on the built transmission.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Dt3Ow5-Efjk?si=3DAWr7DcgIw-C-9m

Differential Brace
1-bolt Rear Subframe

1717689693043.jpeg
In late 2021, due to supply shortages, Ford decided to put the 1-bolt subframe from the 4-cylinder Explorers into the ST. Bad choice, horrible choice in fact. The 100+ extra HP that even the stock form produces is too much for the subframe to handle. Even on mild launches, the bolt is known to snap, which can lead to a domino effect taking out the rear diff, shoving the rear driveshaft up the transmission and boom, you could have a cracked engine block. Not fun even with a warranty. So, if you have the 1-bolt, get a differential brace.

The good news is that with a differential brace, you will not have that problem. The best one, though the most expensive one, is the ID-Speed brace, but it is worth every penny. Launch away! Crazy that a little part can stop all those broken parts.
1717689743546.png
The 2-bolt alone pretty much handles anything you throw at it, so this is a peace-of-mind part. I would personally purchase it if you are launching a lot on a tune. Especially with a trans-brake. It just never hurts to be too careful.

Oil Catch Can
R.jpg

A catch can removes oil droplets from air circulating from crankcase to intake. It is very important, and every 5k miles usually nets two shot glasses worth of oil that would have coated the valves, had the catch not stopped it. The best catch can that does the job perfectly is the UPR Catch Can, but it is 4 times the price of the runner up, the JLT 3.0. The JLT will do 90%+ of the job that the UPR will do, but at a quarter of the price.

Ford Performance Skid Plate
1717689778100.png

Kind of an odd part for a street-oriented performance vehicle, is an engine skid plate. This protects the engine from being damaged by any objects from below. Ford Performance panned this part from the Timberline, and it features an easy access hole for the oil plug. If you drive trails/dirt roads or just want the extra protection, the Ford Performance skid plate might be a good peace-of-mind part.

Upgraded Injectors
_H620-1344_-_3.0L_Ecoboost_Ford_Explorer_Stage_2_Direct_Injectors_photo_06__83922__26904.png

Nostrum fuel injectors are the sole option if you need more fuel to be dispensed than the stock injectors can provide. Reasons you need larger injectors are you are running high ethanol mixes or have an upgraded turbo.

Upgraded Turbos
1717689630490.png
If you want to go all out, usually upgraded turbos are the first thing that comes to mind. There are not many options though, and all options are just a ported and revised stock turbo. Plus, the stock turbos are already efficient as it is. You would probably only gain 40 HP on pump gas with the upgraded turbos. If you are running some ethanol mix though, that is where you will see large gains. So that makes it a bad choice for daily driven cars on pump gas, due to the price. If you are a drag-strip hooligan, and run ethanol, upgraded turbos will squeeze every last HP from the car. The thing is though, with that extra power and harder launches on the drag strip, you will need a built transmission, all the suspension mods described in the suspension section (except for sway bar because it is a drag-strip oriented car), upgraded injectors (if you are running ethanol which you will want to need to), intercooler, and upgraded half-shafts. This path is not for the light of heart, but if you are running ethanol, you will be running low 11’s all day long, and maybe high 10’s.

Last edited:
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thread Starter #4
ECM Tuning
This is the most important effective modification. Just an ECM tuning can bring the quarter mile times down to Low 12’s. There are quite a few options when it comes to tuning so I will just recommend the best for each purpose:

Ford Performance tune: Entry-level tune
1717689860042.jpeg
The Ford Performance tune is great for people who just want to dip their toes into the world of tuning. It retains the 3 year/36k mile warranty but will not retain the powertrain warranty for any extended warranty. It’s advertised HP is 430 HP and 467 LB.FT.TQ.. It is a bit expensive at $825. Throttle response and shifts points become noticeably better. Like I said above, it is an entry level tune for people who just want improved throttle response and shift points.

https://youtube.com/shorts/oOguD3WSuic?si=4_fSzBEUg0xyKQzV

ZFG tune: Best all-around tune
1717689886515.png
The ZFG tune is the best tune as recommended by many of those that have purchased it and the numbers that the tune achieves. Adam at ZFG knows how to tune these 10r60s and 3.0L perfectly. There is also a DMS (Drive mode specific) tune which is neat, and what it does is there is a specific custom tune for each drive mode that the car features. It is quite expensive costing $700 (plus tuning device) vs $450 (plus tuning device) for the standard tune.

https://youtube.com/shorts/dq0bJmfdJtY?si=_p1MlPdkGIa4uyvP

Last edited:
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thread Starter #5
Exhaust
This part is highly subjective, as the “perfect” exhaust note depends on one’s taste. I will summarize this section.

Cat-Back Exhaust
1717690157847.png

The stock catback, though extremely quiet, is actually not that restrictive. Upgrading to an aftermarket exhaust will not net a worthwhile gain if you are just looking at it for power, but sound and replacing the rattle-prone flex-pipes (which will rattle in the future no matter what) are the pluses.

Stock Cat back with Aftermarket Tips
1717690256398.png
If you like the quiet exhaust but want something better looking than the tiny 2” quad-tips that come stock, it is quite simple to make it look better. 3” quad-tips with a 2” inlet slips right on with no fabrication. It is as simple was cutting off the stock tips, and welding in or screwing in the new exhaust tips. I do not recommend screw-in type tips, as they have a good probability of falling off. 4” exhaust tips will fit with some fabrication, but you will need a 2.5” inlet so that you can properly space the tips. They will fit in the diffuser perfectly but are not as easy as just slipping them on.

Muffler Delete Axle-Back
1717690332679.png
A very cheap option is to do a muffler delete, and it sounds decent….but it will drone like crazy on the highway.

Resonator Delete
A resonator delete usually does wonders, as shown in the Mustang GT for example. But the res delete on these Explorer’s will give it a very slight sound improvement, but nothing you can hear inside.
Thermal R&D 2.5” Exhaust
This is the best exhaust for people who want some more sound when they step on it, but quite on everything else, the Thermal 2.5” Exhaust is the best choice for them.

Thermal R&D 3” Exhaust
The best all-around exhaust is the Thermal 3” exhaust. Zero drone, mild sound when normal driving, and awesome sounding on acceleration. This is the best exhaust for people who want to hear EcoBoost sing the best song it can sing.

Downpipes
Downpipes are a great upgrade and help reduce restriction from the turbos. They also replace the crack-prone downpipes from the factory. Downpipes have been tested to show gains of up to 15 HP on pump gas. Fen fabrication, CVF, and SPD are all great with no difference between them, just price.

Last edited:
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thread Starter #6
Exterior
1717690409730.png
Who knew that the Explorer could transform from a blocky SUV to a Mustang beating sleeper? Why not show that power in the exterior?

Hitch Cover
1717690437051.png
The hitch-cover will give the rear of the ST a cleaner look in the rear. There are a few options to choose from, from the likes of Waido, Zeus3d, and a couple of others.
1717690503508.png
My favorite look, also because it is cheap, is a hitch cover cap. It looks really neat and costs around $25 at time of writing.

Front License Plate Delete
1717690548691.png
If you want to clean up the front end of the car, a front license plate delete is probably one of the best ways to do so. Bumperplugs.com is the best way to go. Their color matching the paint is amazing and is worth the extra price. To plug the whole in the bumper, you can go to your local auto parts store and buy some fender fasteners, and they will work fine.

Emblems
1717690649476.png
One of the things that is frustrating, is that the ST did not receive the black emblems from the Timberline, among other things (like a Torsen rear diff.). I love how a pair of custom emblems look. Emblem City makes a great pair of emblems if you are looking to go custom, and Ford Accessories have the Black emblems from the Timberline. The difficult part is you have to remove the front bumper to remove the emblem, unless you use @UNBROKEN ’s, which you drill the tabs out through the stock emblems. Once you remove the bumper, you will need to drill some new holes for the emblem, even with Ford’s ones. It is quite easy though, when you use the included templates.
1717690726214.png
A cool idea that @UNBROKEN came up with, is he removed the stock “ST” emblem on the grille and used an ST overlay to make it like a “ghost” emblem. It gets rid of the chrome too.

Rear diffuser
1717690903043.png

Waido recently released a new rear diffuser that slots beneath the rear bumper. I think it finishes off the look of the rear, as it will most cars will see as you speed away.

Hoods
There are two aftermarket hood offerings to choose from if you are looking to bring out a more aggressive look from the hood.

Stock Hood
1717691108097.jpeg
There is an interesting thing you can do with the stock hood. @UNBROKEN used Jeep Wrangler hood vents and cut into the stock hood. It looks pretty good but is not for the light of heart.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/unbrokens-iconic-silver-st-build.503/page-51#post-74923 (Post 1,004)

I-5 Autohaus
1717691026641.png

I-5 Autohaus offering is a Raptor-style hood which is functional.

Austin Pucket
There is a custom carbon-fiber hood offering from Austin Pucket. It is also functional and is very aggressive looking.

Front Splitter
A front splitter is something that will give the SUV a sports-car-like front end look. There are two options to choose from: Waido and SS-Tuning.

Waido
1717691151940.png
Waido’s front splitter is very classic looking, bringing the front end lower, giving the car a low, aggressive look.

SS-Tuning
1717691205393.png
A very aggressive option is the SS-Tuning Front Splitter.

Side Splitter
Side-splitters help give the car a low look when viewed from the side. I think it complements the lines of the car very well.

Waido
1717691320756.png
Waido is the only true side-splitter offering. They look great and would work perfectly with their front splitter.

Aftermarket Step-Boards
1717691515699.png
Step-bars on a low car like these cars don’t make sense, but they would be more for cosmetic purposes than functionality. They actually look really good, and maybe even better than Waido’s actual side-splitters.

Waido Mid-Spoiler
1717691559415.png
The looks of Waido’s mid-spoiler are in the eye of the beholder, and there are a couple of different variants of the spoiler. The fit is good, but don’t expect to get any extra downforce.

Widebody Kit
1717691597757.png

A wide-body kit sounds awesome for the car, and SS-Tuning and Waido offer them. But in reality, to actually put that extra body width to use, you need a wider wheel and tire setup. At the offset needed to make the wheels flush, the front wheels will rub the metal on the rear of the fender and rub like crazy on the liner. So sadly, a wide-body doesn’t actually work.

Painted Exterior Trim
1717691635618.png

Some people are not fans of the painted trim that the 6g Explorer’s feature. Unfortunately, it is not cheap nor easy to do. You cannot just wrap the plastic, as the vinyl will not adhere properly. To paint the plastic, there is a lot of prep work. Once done though, many will say it is worth it.

Rear Windshield Wiper Delete
1717691691834.png

Pioneered by @UNBROKEN, Houston Speed Freaks brought the ultimate windshield wiper delete to the market. This windshield wiper delete is so flush and transparent, it looks like it isn’t even there. Some people are worried about the rear visibility loss due to no wiper in the rear, but if you clean the rear window thoroughly with a good waxing cleaning spray, the water will just run down.

Roof Rail Delete
1717691722327.png

This is dependent on one’s taste, but if you desire to remove the roof rails here is a quick run-through. There are barely any parts involved, just two roof rail delete trim pieces. The hard part is you have to remove the headliner to get to the rail bolts. It isn’t hard, just time-consuming.

Headlight’s Chrome Black-out
1717691812834.png

DIY
Ford took the time to black out the taillights and the headlight marker lights but didn’t black out the chrome inside the headlight. The Interceptor’s receive the blacked-out headlights, but we don’t. There are a couple ways to hide the chrome. One way is to use headlight tint to cover the chrome, or you could open the headlights up (by baking them) and paint the chrome.

Professional
If you don’t want to tint the headlights and are too nervous to open up the headlights yourself, you can purchase pre-chrome deleted headlights from Bullseye Customs. There are also other cool options, like a color customizable DRL’s, Explorer lighting inside the headlights, and others.

LED Light Strip

A cool modification is the addition of an LED light strip. It connects the bright DRL’s with a bright strip, which is neat.

Functionality
Hood Strut Kit

If you are opening the hood often, it might be a worthwhile purchase for a hood strut kit. The best one, since it does not require drilling, is the no-drill MRT Hood Strut kit.

Reverse Light
The reverse lights that come stock are horrific. You are better off riding the brake so you can at least see. I highly recommend Houston Speeds Freaks reverse lights. They are brighter than most headlights and are of great quality.

Turn Signal Lights
This is a pure cosmetic mod, but one that I like. The stock halogen lights look cheap, and the LED turn signals look crisp and premium looking. Again, I highly recommend HSF’s LED turn signal lights.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thread Starter #7
Intake
The stock intake is not too restrictive, but there are some decent gains when an aftermarket intake is paired with charge pipes. Adam at ZFG can confirm that the aFe Intake is the best choice, showing the best flow at the turbos.

Charge Pipes
The factory charge pipes are restrictive in the fact that they change diameter and shape throughout the part. As you can see in this photo, FenFab’s charge pipe is significantly better for airflow. If you want to do charge pipes it should be done with an intercooler since bumper removal is required for it, and having the bumper off will give you more working space to install the pipes.

Drop-In Air Filter
1717691960593.png

The drop-in filter is a waste of money plainly put. It is two-times the price of the Motorcraft unit and does not give ANY gains.

Velosa Tech Intake Snorkel
This is still a highly controversial part. Adam’s (at ZFG) chart above shows that it makes a difference, but others have shown different. In my personal opinion, the extra cold air will help, and for $150, it doesn’t hurt. Plus, it looks cool behind the grille.

Last edited:
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thread Starter #8
Suspension
Rear Sway Bar

1717692190982.png
The rear sway bar will completely transform the way that this 4,000LB. SUV. Steeda and aFe are the two manufacturers of aftermarket rear sway bars for the Explorer ST’s, and I would recommend aFe. As far as performance goes, Steeda is slightly better but Steeda’s sway bar rusts out really bad in just a year or two.

Front Sway Bar
1717692217027.png

The front sway bar is extremely hard to install and there is no worthwhile difference.

Lowering Springs
Lowering springs are probably my favorite cosmetic mod, but it also helps handling and paired with a rear sway bar it about wraps up the suspension department. Steeda, H&R, Lethal Performance, and now Eibach are offerings for lowering springs.

Steeda Lowering Springs
1717692240273.png

Steed’s lowering springs retain the factory “rake” of the suspension (rear is higher than front). If you tow any type of medium-large trailer or if you just plain like the look of the “rake” this is your best option. Steeda’s setup will give you more control over a trailer then other offering.

H&R
1717692277044.png

H&R is the best springs for looks. H&R was the first company to provide lowering springs for the ExST community and they are the most popular offering. They are a great springs and nothing but positive reviews for them. The advertised drop is 1.6In. front/1.75In. rear.

Lethal Performance
1717692303596.png

Lethal Performance’s springs are plagued with problems. You could be lucky, and not have any problems, but most likely you will have problems. They have squeaking problems, have been known to bottom out often, and some have even lifted the vehicle, the opposite of the purpose. The advertised drop is 1.8In. front/2.0In. rear.

Eibach
1717692321003.png

Eibach is the newest to the game, but their reputation precedes them. They have the most drop when they settled. In my opinion, these would be the ones I would purchase.

Coil overs
1717692343912.png

Coilovers look amazing, as they drop the car a lot. I do not recommend them though. The reason is, is when you drop it that much, it is very difficult to get it aligned correctly.

Rear Toe Links
Rear toe links prevent instability and wheel hop during hard launches. It is one of the top noticeable mods and paired with a subframe lockout, eliminates any wheel hop. Wheel hop on these cars can lead to the destruction of the axles and half-shafts. Steeda and Fen Fabrication both produce them, with no difference between them.

Subframe Lockout Kit (also known as Subframe Bushings)
A subframe lockout kit helps prevent the subframe from moving during hard cornering or launches, giving the car a solid feel, no wheel hop, and a connected feel when cornering.

Last edited:
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thread Starter #9
Wheels
1717692410703.png
Who would have thought a 4,000LB. SUV could spin all 4-tires and run 11’s in the quarter mile all day long!? To put all that AWD grip to use, a good wheel setup is needed. Thanks to @UNBROKEN we have the perfect wheel formula.
1717692541980.jpeg
The best setup is 22x10.5 et.30 wrapped in 305/40R22 or 305/35R22 rubber (the better available tire size). If you are going custom from the like of Vossen, Velgen, or others, this is the only way to go. Forged rims are what you always want to aim for, as they are lighter than their cast counterparts. The best-looking wheel is in the eye of the beholder so here are a couple threads that can help you choose:

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/aftermarket-wheel-thread.1052/

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/22-wheels.1467/

Last edited:
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thread Starter #10
Saved for interior section

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Saved, great idea! Thank you for your effort!