Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer ST Modding 101 Guide

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Turbo wise, you’re probably correct, but that’s a very rare example. I didn’t realize that CRP was now making a watergate actuator, I’ll have to update the guide with it. As far as fuel system, I was just saying that you may need it if you run high ethonal mixes or have upgraded turbos. I probably should make it more clear, but I was more or less just suggesting it for the maximum gains. CAI wise, I did say there were some gains even with stock turboes so therefore there’d be even more gains with upgraded turbos. I appreciate the feedback and will definitely update the guide with some of your info.
Yes, here's a link to the CRP actuators:

https://crpengineering.com/product/3-030-521/

Just to be clear, I wasn't refuting your performance point on the CAI. I'm just saying that CRP recommends it as a must for the Stage 5 turbos because they won't last with the stock intake. It's not imminent with the stock turbos.

You are correct in your assessment of the fuel component upgrade. I personally was trying to steer clear of it for a couple reasons.
I originally was trying to gain power without ethanol because it's hard to find in my area and if you do, it's percentages are inconsistent.
It's just inconvenient to have to test the content at the pump every time you fuel up and then calculate with what you already have in the tank.

Secondly, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you can run up to E50 on the stock system. To go to E85 from E50 would require the fuel component upgrade
and at that point would net only about 35-40 more HP. I just couldn't justify the 4K+ expense for that. I'm going to see where the bolt-ons and tune will take me and if I truly need extra ooomph, I'll go with the E50 tune. According to ZFG, that should get a bit more than 600 to the wheels.

Don't know if you've seen any write-ups on meth injection but if you have, that would also be an interesting topic in your guide. The CVF cold air intake pipe
includes 2 NPT bungs for direct injection. Don't know if that plays nice with the ZFG tune but if it does, it's an alternative.

Another fuel option is this port fuel injection. It isn't as daily driver friendly but if you're going for the high HP, it's a cheaper alternative.

https://emsinc-tn.com/product/ems-3-0l-ford-explorer-ecoboost-port-injection-kit/

Your thoughts?

OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Thread Starter #22
Yes, here's a link to the CRP actuators:

https://crpengineering.com/product/3-030-521/

Just to be clear, I wasn't refuting your performance point on the CAI. I'm just saying that CRP recommends it as a must for the Stage 5 turbos because they won't last with the stock intake. It's not imminent with the stock turbos.

You are correct in your assessment of the fuel component upgrade. I personally was trying to steer clear of it for a couple reasons.
I originally was trying to gain power without ethanol because it's hard to find in my area and if you do, it's percentages are inconsistent.
It's just inconvenient to have to test the content at the pump every time you fuel up and then calculate with what you already have in the tank.

Secondly, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you can run up to E50 on the stock system. To go to E85 from E50 would require the fuel component upgrade
and at that point would net only about 35-40 more HP. I just couldn't justify the 4K+ expense for that. I'm going to see where the bolt-ons and tune will take me and if I truly need extra ooomph, I'll go with the E50 tune. According to ZFG, that should get a bit more than 600 to the wheels.

Don't know if you've seen any write-ups on meth injection but if you have, that would also be an interesting topic in your guide. The CVF cold air intake pipe
includes 2 NPT bungs for direct injection. Don't know if that plays nice with the ZFG tune but if it does, it's an alternative.

Another fuel option is this port fuel injection. It isn't as daily driver friendly but if you're going for the high HP, it's a cheaper alternative.

https://emsinc-tn.com/product/ems-3-0l-ford-explorer-ecoboost-port-injection-kit/

Your thoughts?
I totally understand the fuel system thing, plus it’s really expensive like you said. I know Austin Puckett was thinking about the port injection, I’m not sure if he went through with it. I totally forgot about it, and will definitely have to ask some of my sources to see how they feel about it. Yes, you are correct to I believe e50 is the sweet spot for the stock system, and e60 is pushing it but it works.

I remember meth injection back in the old S197 GT500 days and Whippled Coyote builds. I never thought of that for our cars, but I do know a lot of people are against it because of how tuning for it is really hard. If you are dialed in for meth injection and it doesn’t inject into the intake, it could cause problems. Definitely would be interesting though.

Suprawill1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I totally understand the fuel system thing, plus it’s really expensive like you said. I know Austin Puckett was thinking about the port injection, I’m not sure if he went through with it. I totally forgot about it, and will definitely have to ask some of my sources to see how they feel about it. Yes, you are correct to I believe e50 is the sweet spot for the stock system, and e60 is pushing it but it works.

I remember meth injection back in the old S197 GT500 days and Whippled Coyote builds. I never thought of that for our cars, but I do know a lot of people are against it because of how tuning for it is really hard. If you are dialed in for meth injection and it doesn’t inject into the intake, it could cause problems. Definitely would be interesting though.
Ok, cool. I suspected that meth inj might be an issue, especially with remote tuning like ZFG and the like. Thanks for confirming.

I believe at one point Adam was sniffing the port injection but seemed to be shying away from it. What's currently in your guide seems to be the go to, especially if you have $$. ;)