Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

FenFAB oil pan initial test results.

Reactions
Time to share some initial results from the FENFAB oil pan! Actually logging oil pressure and getting the correct data is very important and I’m going to let the data tell the story on this one! This has been a long time coming as oil pump cavitation/starvation has been a long-standing issue with the Explorer ST. we have preached and preached that oil level in you ST needs to always remain at or up to .5 qt above the top full mark on your dip stick (6-6.5 qt in the engine). With 5 qts of oil in the pan, oil pressure can drop into the low 20s and the low-pressure divot can remain there for all of 1st gear and some of second gear. Below 5qts and oil pressures can be in 10s or lower. Due to the continuously variable oil pump low oil pressure light doesn’t come on until mid-single digits. Over time doing more and more damage to the bearing surfaces and eventually you'll end up with a spun bearing. The factory oil pressure “minimum” target table is pictured to give you an idea of what the oil pressure target is. Bottom line, more testing still needs to happen but with the initial testing the FENFAB oil pan works as designed and helps the pump maintain suction and pressure. I look forward to testing this with some 1.4x 60’s and beyond!

Attachments

bbbart

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST
Awesome! Please keep us updated

I can't understand why they didn't make a larger oil pan from the factory. 6-6.5 quarts is way too small for an engine making 400hp / 415lbs...