Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Floorboard Hole

jjsooner

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
This is under the passenger seat next to the floor vent. Trust me, you can see through to the ground (hard to get a good pic). So, only the carpet and whatever is running past in the undercarriage is keeping elements out. By the shape it’s obviously supposed to be there, but what is it and should there be a plug/grommet? I’m thinking of using soundproofing material to cover it. I felt around under the driver side and there does seem to be a plug/grommet of some sort, but I couldn’t pull the carpet up enough to see. Appreciate any insights. Thanks. IMG_1367.jpeg

Reactions
Every axcess hole that I am aware of is plugged with a plastic or rubber grommet or is plugges with a grommet with wires passing through the grommet. Some floor pan gromets are not flanged well on both sides of that grommet and with that being said, they can fall out. Did you check around the surroiunding area under the matting to see if it came out and moved under the matting? This would be odd to me if it were supposed to be open to the elements.. Does the carpet or carpet mat look like elements were getting to it? Unless someone else has other feedback to contradict me, I would measure it, buy a plug online, and seal it off.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
looks like you are missing a rubber baby buggy bumper plug
surprised your floor area is not really dirty and soaked

OP
J

jjsooner

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Every axcess hole that I am aware of is plugged with a plastic or rubber grommet or is plugges with a grommet with wires passing through the grommet. Some floor pan gromets are not flanged well on both sides of that grommet and with that being said, they can fall out. Did you check around the surroiunding area under the matting to see if it came out and moved under the matting? This would be odd to me if it were supposed to be open to the elements.. Does the carpet or carpet mat look like elements were getting to it? Unless someone else has other feedback to contradict me, I would measure it, buy a plug online, and seal it off.
looks like you are missing a rubber baby buggy bumper plug
surprised your floor area is not really dirty and soaked
Thanks - I poked around but didn't find anything loose. Its not dirty/soaked so probably was lost only recently, assuming something was there. I'm probably in need of something like below (#388454S) - gotta confirm the size. Thanks again...

$_57.jpg

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Auto zone..place have an end cap thing with gazillion rubber plugs..night luck out and find one ..if have to wait on delivery

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
A lot of scratches by it.. Maybe removed by previous owner to run something under the car..

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
A lot of scratches by it.. Maybe removed by previous owner to run something under the car..
Big rat or squirrels
Kidding

OP
J

jjsooner

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Big rat or squirrels
Kidding
Checked again, and yes those are scratches at the bottom of the oval (not fabric/string, etc.). Still could be bouncing around on the splash guard (which I could remove, I suppose) that is running partially underneath (and is helping with keeping things cleaner). I like the previous owner / dealer theory...

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Wouldn't surprise me if it was missing from the initial build. Our '20 had missing shields, paint defects that no one caught (or cared) in Chicago Assembly. Could ask your dealer to get you one.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
You are missing the rubber plug.

20230430_165205.jpg

OP
J

jjsooner

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12

View attachment 24722
Any chance this is a current photo? If so, could you pull the carpet back just a bit more to expose the full part number on the plug? Thanks...

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

View attachment 24722
Who ever did that ground needs a lesson
It needs to have just open contact for the fastener and then corrosion protection for the bond and the fastener

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Any chance this is a current photo? If so, could you pull the carpet back just a bit more to expose the full part number on the plug? Thanks...
Who ever did that ground needs a lesson
It needs to have just open contact for the fastener and then corrosion protection for the bond and the fastener
Installed an Amp under the seat. I don't have access to the area right now. Will need to remove the amp.

Found this Plug Rubber - Ford (388454s)

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-plug-rubber-388454s

20230506_134033.jpg

Last edited:
OP
J

jjsooner

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
OP
J

jjsooner

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
If anyone is interested, I took a flyer and bought the following on ebay - and it fits (approx 3.5" x 2"). Note that part 388454S noted by @Stone17 in post #15 in this thread and myself in post #4 is way too small.

Thanks again for the helping hands...

IMG_1379.JPG Screenshot 2024-08-28 210352.png