Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford moving future 3 row EV to unknown plant to make room for super duty production

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Still can't believe they killed off the edge
It's price point, even fully loaded titanium was really a bargain.
Seat 5, carry lots if gear and great mpg.
We had 2 and the last one was 10 years old with zero issues, other than worn seat leather
A super duty powrboost would be a winner

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
My wife loves the Edge too, she's on her fourth one. She now drives a 24 ST

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Still can't believe they killed off the edge
It's price point, even fully loaded titanium was really a bargain.
Seat 5, carry lots if gear and great mpg.
We had 2 and the last one was 10 years old with zero issues, other than worn seat leather
A super duty powrboost would be a winner
I know. I love the Edge ST and before these Explorers came out really considered one.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Ford should build a 2 row 4-5 seat version of our explorers to replace the edge, I would trade my explorer in a heartbeat.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Ford should build a 2 row 4-5 seat version of our explorers to replace the edge, I would trade my explorer in a heartbeat.
That would be an edge
Before we picked up the explorer
I looked everywhere within 300 miles to find edge titanium with elite package, as it has all tye 360 stuff, lane keeping adaptive cruise etc
Plus really nice seat stitching
They are rare. Found base titanium easy.
She wanted a ruby red one with the elite interior..
Ford screwed up
Nobody liked the aviator hybrid, Cost , etc
Moving the lincoln nautilus to China is dumb dumb dumb.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
That would be an edge
What I meant was build a 2 row suv from the same CD6 platform that the 6 gen explorer is built from. The current EX is a rwd based platform, where as the Edge has always been fwd based. If they could move the new edge replacement to a rwd platform and make it a little bigger I think it would be a big seller. Something similar in size to a BMW X5 or X6

When you use a transverse mounted engine, the transaxle is mounted behind the engine and the centerline of the front wheels are centered with the trans and it ends up encroaching into the interior and leaving you with smaller footwells and that telltale wheel well hump. But a traditional longitudinal mounted engine allows the engineers to push the front axle forward giving you much more interior space. Look at the 11-19 explorers vs. the 20+. The 11-19's were fwd and had a 113" wheelbase and the 20+ is rwd and has a 119" WB but the overall body is of similar size. By going back to a rwd platform allowed the designers to push the front axle forward 6 inches and that wheel well hump is much smaller. I'm over 6' tall with long legs and having that extra leg room makes for more comfortable driving experience. But in the end, I don't need a 3 row SUV.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I see .
Edge was this last 2 years of production were all awd. Where prior the awd was an option.
Awd edge drove so much better in slick conditions like heavy rain and the sneaky ice on bridges.
For us in our area
Awd or 4a is a must. Our roads get slick in summer real fast, a bit of rain and it's on
They are mostly 2 lane county or farm market roads so they are not maintained as well as state major roads
Rear wheel drive edge. .sized vehicle would be a different option

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
What I meant was build a 2 row suv from the same CD6 platform that the 6 gen explorer is built from. The current EX is a rwd based platform, where as the Edge has always been fwd based. If they could move the new edge replacement to a rwd platform and make it a little bigger I think it would be a big seller. Something similar in size to a BMW X5 or X6

When you use a transverse mounted engine, the transaxle is mounted behind the engine and the centerline of the front wheels are centered with the trans and it ends up encroaching into the interior and leaving you with smaller footwells and that telltale wheel well hump. But a traditional longitudinal mounted engine allows the engineers to push the front axle forward giving you much more interior space. Look at the 11-19 explorers vs. the 20+. The 11-19's were fwd and had a 113" wheelbase and the 20+ is rwd and has a 119" WB but the overall body is of similar size. By going back to a rwd platform allowed the designers to push the front axle forward 6 inches and that wheel well hump is much smaller. I'm over 6' tall with long legs and having that extra leg room makes for more comfortable driving experience. But in the end, I don't need a 3 row SUV.
That’s also why these cars look so different. Less front overhang.