Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune released for Ranger and Bronco Raptor variants just dropped and its WAY better than the one for our Exploders...

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
So, title ^, what gives? All vehicles are performance oriented with the same 3.0L twin turbo ecoboost engine right? Why do these vehicles get a boost to 455hp and 536lb-ft of torque while we're limited to 430hp and 467 lb-ft? Obviously there are some differences between gearing and driveshafts I'd presume, is that extra 25hp and 69lb-ft of torque solely attributed to that? Please somebody enlighten me. Regardless, I feel like Ford left a bit off the table for those of us who got this tune compared to what I see the 3.0L raptors just got, for basically the same price. All other upgrades aside, if I had a bone stock Explorer ST with the performance tune and I get outrun by ford pickup trucks and jeep wannabes I'm going to be extremely unhappy about it. I still don't understand why Ford didn't just keep the 3.5 in the Explorer but with what its current output is in the Expedition, and then we'd have a true SRT comparison from the factory and right off the lot.. but that's a separate topic.

Ford Bronco Raptors and Ranger Raptors Just Got Much Better for Very Little Money (thedrive.com)

Ford Bronco, Ranger Raptor Performance Tune Revealed (fordauthority.com)

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Its not the peak power delivered for each vehicle/market its HOW that power is delivered. The ST basic 3.0 engine can have the same or better power with a likely turbo change or maybe just some VCT, or just basic tuning changes. The real world isn't about those peak numbers, it’s more how the vehicle needs/uses the power. With turbo engines it’s all about where and how to deliver that torque=power.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
So, title ^, what gives? All vehicles are performance oriented with the same 3.0L twin turbo ecoboost engine right? Why do these vehicles get a boost to 455hp and 536lb-ft of torque while we're limited to 430hp and 467 lb-ft? Obviously there are some differences between gearing and driveshafts I'd presume, is that extra 25hp and 69lb-ft of torque solely attributed to that? Please somebody enlighten me. Regardless, I feel like Ford left a bit off the table for those of us who got this tune compared to what I see the 3.0L raptors just got, for basically the same price. All other upgrades aside, if I had a bone stock Explorer ST with the performance tune and I get outrun by ford pickup trucks and jeep wannabes I'm going to be extremely unhappy about it. I still don't understand why Ford didn't just keep the 3.5 in the Explorer but with what its current output is in the Expedition, and then we'd have a true SRT comparison from the factory and right off the lot.. but that's a separate topic.

Ford Bronco Raptors and Ranger Raptors Just Got Much Better for Very Little Money (thedrive.com)

Ford Bronco, Ranger Raptor Performance Tune Revealed (fordauthority.com)
First off, the Bronco and Ranger Raptor use different engine components then our cars. The Braptor and Ranger Raptor are of course going to have different driveshafts (they are a different model afterall) and different gearing (as they are for off-road). First off, the Ford Performance tunes are just simple canned tunes. Second, stock for stock and modified for modified the ST will beat the Braptor, Ranger Raptor, and especially any Jeep (except for maybe a 392 if ST was in stock form) anyday. They are carrying more weight, heavy and large off road tires. The regular Jeeps are very underpowered so that comparison is useless. The power to weight ratio and how it is used is what matters, not overall HP. The reason why Ford is giving more power to the Braptor and Ranger Raptor is simply because they want to, they could do so much more for the ST but don't. We're are limited by what Ford wants to do for their overpriced tune. Ford is going to be super super conservative on their tunes due to warranty.

Lastly, no, the 3.0L are way better engines then the old 3.5s. Look up ZFG tuning, who are a proper custom tuner unlike the canned FP tunes, and what they extract from our cars. A simple tune and intercooler nets 500+ AWHP and high 11/low 12 second quarter miles. A 3.5L doesn't have that capability. Moving on, even a 440-HP 3.5L isn't going to compete with an SRT right off the bat. The 3.0L has a lot more potential with the right tune. Please just understand that the 3.0L is an awesome engine, and with the right tune it can make amazing numbers. The FP Tune is canned so there isn't going to be a lot of gains.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Although I agree with you I wouldn’t put down the 3.5 in the Raptor. My 2018 with 90k miles will run a 12.7 @ 109 on the huge tires and it weighs 6k+ lbs. It would push my tune-only ST for top honors with the 275/55x17 size tires I have for just such occasions. Yes the ST is quicker/faster, but the ST with the 3.5 setup would be untouchable by a 3.0. Simple physics, all else the same.

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
First off, the Bronco and Ranger Raptor use different engine components then our cars. The Braptor and Ranger Raptor are of course going to have different driveshafts (they are a different model afterall) and different gearing (as they are for off-road). First off, the Ford Performance tunes are just simple canned tunes. Second, stock for stock and modified for modified the ST will beat the Braptor, Ranger Raptor, and especially any Jeep (except for maybe a 392 if ST was in stock form) anyday. They are carrying more weight, heavy and large off road tires. The regular Jeeps are very underpowered so that comparison is useless. The power to weight ratio and how it is used is what matters, not overall HP. The reason why Ford is giving more power to the Braptor and Ranger Raptor is simply because they want to, they could do so much more for the ST but don't. We're are limited by what Ford wants to do for their overpriced tune. Ford is going to be super super conservative on their tunes due to warranty.

Lastly, no, the 3.0L are way better engines then the old 3.5s. Look up ZFG tuning, who are a proper custom tuner unlike the canned FP tunes, and what they extract from our cars. A simple tune and intercooler nets 500+ AWHP and high 11/low 12 second quarter miles. A 3.5L doesn't have that capability. Moving on, even a 440-HP 3.5L isn't going to compete with an SRT right off the bat. The 3.0L has a lot more potential with the right tune. Please just understand that the 3.0L is an awesome engine, and with the right tune it can make amazing numbers. The FP Tune is canned so there isn't going to be a lot of gains.
I'm aware of ZFG and ultimately will go with it, but wanted to rock the FP tune until out of warranty. I have that, plus intake and intercooler currently. That's a different topic though but I appreciate your insight/suggestions nonetheless.

And the "new" 3.5 makes up to 440hp/510lb-ft from the factory which is very comparable to a 392 SRT in power which I think is around 475/475 or something, give or take a few. Plus the fact that it's a few hundred pounds lighter than a Durango. I was referring to stock for stock no mods when I said "comparison". I'm already faster than a stock 392 on everything except for maybe from a dig. But also, still aside from the point, a 3.5L turbo modded can make more power than a 3.0L modded because ultimately pound for pound all other components equal, there is not replacement for displacement, USUALLY.

And lastly, whether the ranger or bronco have bigger tires and a beefier drivetrain or not, the engines are largely the same and that's a much more significant power boost over what was offered for the Explorer's with the 3.0s, and that's my whole point.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
I'm aware of ZFG and ultimately will go with it, but wanted to rock the FP tune until out of warranty. I have that, plus intake and intercooler currently. That's a different topic though but I appreciate your insight/suggestions nonetheless.

And the "new" 3.5 makes up to 440hp/510lb-ft from the factory which is very comparable to a 392 SRT in power which I think is around 475/475 or something, give or take a few. Plus the fact that it's a few hundred pounds lighter than a Durango. I was referring to stock for stock no mods when I said "comparison". I'm already faster than a stock 392 on everything except for maybe from a dig. But also, still aside from the point, a 3.5L turbo modded can make more power than a 3.0L modded because ultimately pound for pound all other components equal, there is not replacement for displacement, USUALLY.

And lastly, whether the ranger or bronco have bigger tires and a beefier drivetrain or not, the engines are largely the same and that's a much more significant power boost over what was offered for the Explorer's with the 3.0s, and that's my whole point.
No I agree Ford should've definitely upped the HP on the ST. Yes, usually there's no replacement for displacement, but here we are with relatively small engines (the 3.0L is only roughly 180 cu.in.). As far as the FP tune, the FP tune only retains the 3/36k mile warranty and not any ESP warranty or the 5-year powertrain warranty so I would just keep it stock until it is past the 3/36k mark and get the ZFG.

Reactions
The BRaptor and Ranger R have slight different engine components including different turbos vs the ST. So it was a given that they would make more power stock and tune vs ST. Even more so, because of the infamous single bolt fiasco, IMO, they played it safe. Else, im sure the power on the Ford Racing tune wouldve been much higher than what we currently have.

The 3.5 on the Sport was not great at all starting with the internal water pump, just bad decisions overall. Even the newer ones have a much more common and bigger cam phasers issue vs the 3.0. The ST is perfectly fine as is, if anything, the Explorer needs a 5.2 GT500 engine. Explorer Raptor R anyone?

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
The BRaptor and Ranger R have slight different engine components including different turbos vs the ST. So it was a given that they would make more power stock and tune vs ST. Even more so, because of the infamous single bolt fiasco, IMO, they played it safe. Else, im sure the power on the Ford Racing tune wouldve been much higher than what we currently have.

The 3.5 on the Sport was not great at all starting with the internal water pump, just bad decisions overall. Even the newer ones have a much more common and bigger cam phasers issue vs the 3.0. The ST is perfectly fine as is, if anything, the Explorer needs a 5.2 GT500 engine. Explorer Raptor R anyone?
Explorer Raptor would make no sense for this platform, neither is a Timberline or Tremor either. I’d take a Shelby Explorer any day though.

Reactions
Explorer Raptor would make no sense for this platform, neither is a Timberline or Tremor either. I’d take a Shelby Explorer any day though.
Oh i dont care for the name, I just want the 5.2 Predator engine on an Explorer

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Oh i dont care for the name, I just want the 5.2 Predator engine on an Explorer
I don’t care about the name either but that’s what I was referring to.