Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Front Tire Replacement

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I noticed the inside of my front tires are worn significantly. They obviously didn’t get the wheel alignment correct when I put on the lowering springs. I know it’s not a good idea to only replace two tires on a full time AWD but what about our vehicles? Will I be ok replacing just the front two or do I have to do all four? The back tires still have plenty of tread on them! I’d hate to have to replace them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
I noticed the inside of my front tires are worn significantly. They obviously didn’t get the wheel alignment correct when I put on the lowering springs. I know it’s not a good idea to only replace two tires on a full time AWD but what about our vehicles? Will I be ok replacing just the front two or do I have to do all four? The back tires still have plenty of tread on them! I’d hate to have to replace them!

How many miles on the car? If the two other tires are within a couple MM of each other you'll be fine, but anything over will fry your AWD system. It isn't worth the risk. One thing you could do, if you really are against getting a new pair of tires, is checking United Tires or somewhere, and have a tire shop measure the depth of your rear tires, and buy a pair of used Pirelli's with the same exact treadwear. You do still run the risk that the tires aren't the same exact diameter though.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Thread Starter #3
I’ve only put about 9k miles but that’s what I was afraid of. The rear tires look like new but the fronts are worn on the inside. I’ll try measuring the tread depth of the rears to see how much they have worn.