Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Fuel Additives

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I did a search on here and on Google but didn't come up with a good answer. Some say it's all hype and some say they work while others say only certains brands will do anything. I know they put additives in the fuel and ethanol is a good solvent but with the way our engines pass oil vapor through the intake is it worth using an additive every few fill-ups? I do have a catch can on my ST that removes a lot of the oil going into the intake but I'm sure some still get by. It's not only about my ST but about my Ranger with the 4.0 SOHC as well. I'm just curious what people think and if there is any science behind it.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I did a search on here and on Google but didn't come up with a good answer. Some say it's all hype and some say they work while others say only certains brands will do anything. I know they put additives in the fuel and ethanol is a good solvent but with the way our engines pass oil vapor through the intake is it worth using an additive every few fill-ups? I do have a catch can on my ST that removes a lot of the oil going into the intake but I'm sure some still get by. It's not only about my ST but about my Ranger with the 4.0 SOHC as well. I'm just curious what people think and if there is any science behind it.
I use Hot Shot Secret Extreme Gasoline. I used a lot of their products when I owned a bunch of diesels for my business. In my experience they kept the injectors running a lot longer and made the trucks run better. Never replaced an injector in over 250k miles on the trucks. Run it every 8-10k miles.

Used to use only Chevron Texron prior to switching. Lots of products that may or may not do much but it’s hard to tell which ones are “science” and which are all marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I use Hot Shot Secret Extreme
Hot damn... with a name like that, I just assumed you were joking. But there really is such a product!
IMG_0039.jpeg

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
LOL!!! I thought the same thing at first! Sounds like a made up name but there it is. A tad expensive though.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah stupid name imo. One bottle lasts me 40k miles as it is recommended only every 10k miles. Put some in my eldest daughters Accord with 70k on it and even she said she noticed the improvement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The additives do what they say, but not necessarily to the level you assume. Yes, if your vehicle is really rough, it would make s noticeable improvement depending on how long you allowed it to work. At the very small quantity it can prevent any serious problems from occurring, so it’s not snake oil at all if the limitations are understood.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
i have used hot shot diesel treatment for over a decade in the motorhome and the former super duties

have not tried the gasoline formulation
i have used techron for long time and it helps with bad gas .
my ford dealer is now offering a can of ford treatment to combat the wildly variable fuel quality in our area.
we had many stations get water in the tanks either by nature or on purpose and it really played helll in our area with lots of vehicles
during the floods of the early summer

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
The additives do what they say, but not necessarily to the level you assume. Yes, if your vehicle is really rough, it would make s noticeable improvement depending on how long you allowed it to work. At the very small quantity it can prevent any serious problems from occurring, so it’s not snake oil at all if the limitations are understood.
I understand the limitations and I know there is a lot of "snake oil" out there. I'm just wondering if using something that is backed by science regularly would help prevent build-up before it happens. Kind of like how using the catch can helps. This is just taking it a step further.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I understand the limitations and I know there is a lot of "snake oil" out there. I'm just wondering if using something that is backed by science regularly would help prevent build-up before it happens. Kind of like how using the catch can helps. This is just taking it a step further.
I would think yes. I use the Techron occasionally, but not “regularly”. I run so much E blend with good 93 that additives aren't really needed. Ethanol is a powerful solvent.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
I would think yes. I use the Techron occasionally, but not “regularly”. I run so much E blend with good 93 that additives aren't really needed. Ethanol is a powerful solvent.
We don’t have it around here except for what’s already blended. Our fuel is all 10% ethanol. A few places sell 93 octane but most 91.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have never used any fuel additive, but I have used only Top Tier fuel in any vehicle I've been able to since it's been available. Although admittedly anecdotally, in that time, I have had exactly zero fuel-related issues across many multiple motorcycles, boats, and four-wheeled vehicles.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I have never used any fuel additive, but I have used only Top Tier fuel in any vehicle I've been able to since it's been available. Although admittedly anecdotally, in that time, I have had exactly zero fuel-related issues across many multiple motorcycles, boats, and four-wheeled vehicles.
Top tier?
What brand?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
We don’t have it around here except for what’s already blended. Our fuel is all 10% ethanol. A few places sell 93 octane but most 91.
Yeah the 91 is a bummer, but I meant I run at least E50 in the ST and the Raptor always.

Explorer ST Posts