Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Headlight chrome delete

Abelu23

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I recently picked up a black 2021 with 9k miles. The chrome in the headlights drives me crazy. Has anyone swapped headlights with either of the black painted varieties (interceptor/ timberline)? I was wondering if they are plug and play or would they require programming. I guess my only other option would be to bake open my lights and paint them myself. I’m not totally against going that route however I’d like to hear from others who have attempted it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
It bothers me some too as well as the amber side markers. I did tint overlay on the side and across the top DRL chrome but kept the main part of the headlight non-tinted so as to get maximum light at night. It helped A LOT but still see the chrome on the inside around the low and high beams.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
I recently picked up a black 2021 with 9k miles. The chrome in the headlights drives me crazy. Has anyone swapped headlights with either of the black painted varieties (interceptor/ timberline)? I was wondering if they are plug and play or would they require programming. I guess my only other option would be to bake open my lights and paint them myself. I’m not totally against going that route however I’d like to hear from others who have attempted it.
Timberlines aren’t black. Same as ours. Interceptors are black but they don’t have the white DRL. Best option is to bake them and paint them. The chrome drives me crazy also, so I will probably go the route of baking and painting.

OP
A

Abelu23

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Timberlines aren’t black. Same as ours. Interceptors are black but they don’t have the white DRL. Best option is to bake them and paint them. The chrome drives me crazy also, so I will probably go the route of baking and painting.
I personally could care less about the amber DRL, I actually think it looks cool. I wish there was more info about baking and opening our lights, any idea on temperature and time in the oven? Could be a really costly mistake if something goes wrong. I can already see my wife’s face as I load the headlights from my 50k vehicle in the oven

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
I personally could care less about the amber DRL, I actually think it looks cool. I wish there was more info about baking and opening our lights, any idea on temperature and time in the oven? Could be a really costly mistake if something goes wrong. I can already see my wife’s face as I load the headlights from my 50k vehicle in the oven
I believe it would be the same as any other headlight.

Eh69758

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I’ve done a few head lights. I’ve done 225 for 20 mins. Then remove them with gloves and pry open the housing. It’s important to remove anything you can before baking.