Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Help identify this sound please. 2020 Ford Explorer ST

JMCD915

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Phone was placed under the passenger front end.
was driving on the freeway home when suddenly car got louder and shook a little. it makes a grinding noise when accelerating.
First 2 revs are in normal mode ( listen to the end of the rev) , then i switch to sport and you can instantly hear a grinding sound.
I have gotten 3 opinions so far from mechanics who do free diagnostics.
first one said torque converter
2nd one said trans
3rd said one of the turbos
Greatly appreciate any help ( VOLUME WARNING)

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
That sound is perfectly normal. Big thread going around about it, something about Sport mode engaging something.

OP
J

JMCD915

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
That sound is perfectly normal. Big thread going around about it, something about Sport mode engaging something.
Appreciate the reply, anychance you have a link to the thread?

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
3rd said one of the turbos
[/MEDIA]
3rd one was trying for the biggest rip off. lol

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sound at 0:26 almost sounds like exhaust shields rattling. Is that the sound you are concerned about? Everything else sounds normal.

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
The rattle doesn't seem to increase with the RPM's so it's definately not a turbo.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Appreciate the reply, anychance you have a link to the thread?
Unfortunately I don’t have it on hand, but a quick search might result in some finds.

OP
J

JMCD915

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Sound at 0:26 almost sounds like exhaust shields rattling. Is that the sound you are concerned about? Everything else sounds normal.
Appreciate the reply I will check the shields

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
There is DEFINITELY a sound change from the transmission when you select Sport mode. Yours sounds normal to me. I haven't placed my phone, or my chassis ears microphones under the car because its NORMAL sounds…

If you must DO something about it, just check the transmission fluid level correctly and adjust as necessary. The car is not “broken”.

OP
J

JMCD915

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
just wanted to update here incase anyone comes looking for the same thing. i solved my issue. the flex mid pipes were broken and causing a rattle / vibration. the pipes from the muffler back were craked at the welds causing more noise. A muffler shop down the street fixed the cracked weld for 45$. New OEM flex pipes were 200$ each on the fords parts stores online so i ordered a universal section of flex pipe and cut out the bad ones and use couplers to install the new section. about 60$ on amazon.
1723748423211.png

Last edited:

Explorer ST Posts