Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Honest opinion of 2025 ST. Buying a 24.

Coffeehouse

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I picked up at 25 last week after owning a 20 and 21. It took me a few days but I've noticed the seating difference too. I cannot configure the seat and steering wheel the same way I could in the prior models. My legs aren't extended as far as I'd like them to be, and I think it may be due to the steering wheel not extending as far as it did in the past models.
Compared to the prior versions you owned, are you sitting higher (despite the differences in column/wheel config)? It's why I mentioned that difference in relation to my chest alignment with the dash vs. the wheel. It was significant enough for me, sitting higher, that I didn't enjoy the position. My seat is always in the lowest position with the wheel down low - just not enough to fully hide the numbers at the top of the speedometer. :D

steveshadow

U.S. Army Veteran
Doctor
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 and 2025 Explorer ST
So...Just got back from test driving a 2025 ST. Spoiler alert....it was just meh!

Let me explain in context.

Im leasing a 2021 ST. Love it. It's loaded and have had only one real issue in 44K miles. I had the timing cams done at 40K. Otherwise it's been great.

Along comes the refreshed 2025 at the same time my 21 lease term ends so I naturally get to the dealer and put in my order for the 25 on March 3. The 25 goes into production on 6/3 where it sit today with no one able to tell me what the deal is and when it will be delivered. So, I've been passing up a 24 because of the missing masage seats (they truly are wonderful), but now some interesting incentives are making me possibly look at this option again. So my local dealer starts getting in the 25s and I went to see what all the hype was to see if I really wanted to wait and extend my lease for the fourth month or look back at a 24.

My impressions:

The wheels actually look REAL nice in person. My concern for these no more.

The rear looks more modern.

The front is pretty nice and much better in person also. The red one looks pretty phenomenal from the front in the sun. Not as nice as my Hot Pepper Red Bronco though, sorry!

The interior seats are quite different. Felt deeper and softer than my 21. The seating position I couldn't seem to get right though. Not sure why.

The interior layout I thought was going to impress me more. Was excited for the new tray and charging location. It was nice but not crazy nice.

The screen is nice and responsive and the horizontal layout is surely better. The dash screen is nice with the map view. Unfortunately, I just wasn't THAT impressed. It's not like a new Mercedes dash. It's better, but is it really all THAT? Not sure.

The first driving impression was that it sounded a lot different in the interior. Not sure why, but it was different.

Close your eyes though (not for too long though) and it juts feels the same as my 21. It's mechanically the same and feels it.

The transmission definitely shifts different but seems almost too smooth. It's seems to have lost a little rawness of the 21.

So parked car and needed one last comparison. Is the new 25 worth the money?

Here is the breakdown.

No incentives unless you have a private offer.
36 month lease 15k miles with 1750 down = 1048/mth

4750 incentives lease to lease
36 mth lease 15k miles 0 down = 680/mth

2021 buyout
Purchase for 28500 + taxes/fees etc at 6% = 597/mth for 60 mths

So the question then becomes is the 25 refresh worth the ~400/mth difference.

The answer for me was NO. I'll be picking up the 24 next week, letting my 25 go to the highest bidder at the dealer. Getting some equity out of the lease return (about $2200) further reducing the lease down to 640/mth. My salesman told me that this is the reason they have almost 10 25s on their lot right now. The sticker shock is forcing everyone to reconsider and go back to the 24 which look to be getting gobbled up around here pretty quickly.

Maybe this helps others. Maybe not. Just my experience and thoughts.
I'm blessed to currently have a 2022 St and my newly purchased 2025 St in my driveway temporarily. I didn't get a chance to do a lot of back and forth testing before I picked up the 2025. I'm going to concern my comments mostly with the engine and throttle and transmission. I have some concerns I've read in a few places that the transmission was detuned to make it smoother which took away some of the righteousness of the 21 through 24 model I can attest to this you got to use an awful lot of throttle to get it to downshift especially at slow speeds which lowers the overall aggressiveness of the entire package. now I do have the upgraded intercooler and I think that may have some bearing but I wouldn't expect it to have bearing at such low initial rpms. it also might be that the turbochargers are not tuned to give you quite as much response and either case I almost considered taking the 2025 back and just keeping my 2022. I haven't seen any place else that mentions this even some of the car review videos which may compel me to sigh make my own video but I'm just wonder if anyone else is having this experience.?

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thanks guys those are both really fair and honest reviews. I agree with a lot that was said. Can you guys comment on QC?....particularly fit and finish?
YES, BECAUSE TO ME THE INTERIOR QUALITY IS THE BIGGEST ISSUE.