Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How-To: Adding Hands Free Liftgate Late '22 and '23 explorer.

Nightshade

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Giving an update! Huge thanks to @JCR ST, I finally got it working!

For those with a 2023 or 2024 Ford Explorer ST, go under the exhaust exit on the passenger side. Look behind the bumper cover and you will see the module there with 3 connectors connected into it; also look right beside it, you'll see a tube like part which is the tube sensors for the hands-free liftgate. If the parts are already there then you only need the module to swap it out and FORScan changes! The confirmed and verified part number for that module is: JX7Z*14B291*E. I ordered it through my local dealer here in Canada and only ran me just under $80 new.

Install that part and do the FORScan changes that @i8iridium mentioned in his first thread on page one and you're set! As for the BCM -> 726-55-02, he is correct; you'll need to choose either 04 or 05. For my fiancee's 2023 ST, the change was 05. For my 2024 ST, the change was 05. Once all that is done, disconnect FORScan out and get outside. Lock your ST and go to the back; kick motion in the middle and swipe your leg left or right! You'll see it open.

Note: That one screw (Torx - T20) is such a pain to get to and get off (holding the module in), but it's doable!

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Yesterday I looked under my 23 and the dummy module box was there along with the sensors, so today I ordered the new module from tasca, it was 60 bucks and change. Cost me 78 with tax and shipping. This is the biggest thing I miss from my 21 as I used it all the time.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The new module came in today, it is much smaller than I expected.

20240621_122553.jpg 20240621_122559.jpg 20240621_122608.jpg 20240621_122621.jpg 20240621_123412.jpg

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Well I plugged it in and did the forscan changes and nada. I tried using 05 since everyone who has a 23 said 05 works, well it didn't on mine. I'll try using 04 when I go back in. Since I'm tuned, I had to put it back to stock so forscan could read my vehicle, do the changes, then reload my tune. It's kinda a pain in the ass in 95 degree weather with the sun beating down on you.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
Try reboot the bcm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightshade

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Well I plugged it in and did the forscan changes and nada. I tried using 05 since everyone who has a 23 said 05 works, well it didn't on mine. I'll try using 04 when I go back in. Since I'm tuned, I had to put it back to stock so forscan could read my vehicle, do the changes, then reload my tune. It's kinda a pain in the ass in 95 degree weather with the sun beating down on you.
I would double check the FORScan changes in the first post to double check if there’s any errors which do happen. Once that’s ruled out, I’d recommend maybe changing to 04, see if that helps? You can also do the BdyCM Local Interconnect Network New Module Calibration" under the wrench in FORScan. I did this to mine seeing it’s a new brand new module instead of a used one and it doesn’t hurt anything. Takes about 10-15 seconds pretty much.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I tried switching to 04, nada, tried calibrating the module and nada, switched back to 05, nada. I even crawled under to make sure there were no loose connections and everything was good. I even went into the IPC module to turn on the handsfree and its not there WTF? any ideas?

I'm ready to steal the module out of my wife's edge and swap it in case I got a bad module. She has a 24 edge ST and the hands free is disabled on it too, but it has the module and she don't want it anyway.

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Well today I played around again and found the hands free in the IPC module, enabled it and it still doesn't work. Does anyone know which fuse feeds power to this module? If that's not it, then I guess I got a bad module right out of the box.