Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

HPTuners RTD+ Sync Issues

Reactions
Vehicle
(2) 2021 Explorer ST (White & Carbonized Grey)
I'll probably try to open a support case about this but I figured I'd ask the explorerst.org brain trust as well....

I've consistently had issues with the TDN app and RTD+, particularly with reading the vehicle; fails 100% of the time with the stock tune, and syncing files; which is 50/50 with tune files and currently 100% failure rate with a current datalog.

I went out early this morning and after several attempts, managed to get a full 3rd gear pull done in each drive mode (for a DMS tune) in a single datalog session. Now I can't get it to sync the file to Tuning Central . I've restarted (disconnect/reconnect) the RTD+, rebooted my phone, cleared the cache on the TDN app, etc. It says it's getting files from the RTD+ then stops transferring and fails.

I've tested without bluetooth audio playing as well as disconnecting all other bluetooth devices from my phone during the sync and it just won't go. I've tested with WiFi at home (strong signal, symmetrical gigabit internet) and 5G cellular (speedtest showed 100Mbps or better upload and download). I think I'm doing everything right, but...

• Is there anything else I can try before contacting ZFG or HPTuners?
  • Can I get an existing datalog off the RTD+ with my laptop? My searches give results on how to datalog with VCM Suite which is entirely different.
  • Is the RTD3 worth considering as an upgrade? If so, would I need new credits if I'd be tuning the same vehicle?
  • Is there ANY benefit to the MPVI3 if I don't plan to be writing my own tune files?

Last edited:

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
It sounds like your phone and internet connection are the problem. Make sure you turn all other wifi and bluetooth source and loads off while using the RTD device. Also take your time with the entire process as it's a big tune/log file and the hardware needs time to accomplish the flash/log and error-checking wrap functions

OP
Frankenstein
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
It sounds like your phone and internet connection are the problem. Make sure you turn all other wifi and bluetooth source and loads off while using the RTD device. Also take your time with the entire process as it's a big tune/log file and the hardware needs time to accomplish the flash/log and error-checking wrap functions
Thanks, I'll try it again and make sure I don't have Bluetooth or wi-fi connected devices active.

OP
Frankenstein
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
I set up a test access point 10' from the car and no luck. Installed the TDN app on my Android tablet and it worked on the first try. I guess that tablet is my default tuning device now.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I was concerned about this issue when I first tried to tune my 23, so I disconnected my phone from sync in the vehicle. After several data logs and tune revisions I forgot to disconnect my phone when I uploaded the latest revision and it still worked just fine. I would say your phone is the issue, especially since it works just fine on your tablet. BTW, I have a galaxy S23+ thru ATT and a MVPI2

Last edited:

DuncanS

Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Explorer ST
I had this issue with my 22, the first stock read file is still corrupted and won't ever upload, but all new files sync with no issue.

I had to disconnect all Bluetooth devices(watch, car, etc.), update the firmware, which still failed a few times, and then re-read the stock tune to get it to upload. I had more success once I disconnected all other Bluetooth devices.

I know it's not an issue with my Internet as I tried it with 4 separate networks/locations, it even worked on my cellular data a few times. I had a S22 Ultra on ATT at the time, maybe it's an issue with the phone?

I'll have to try my tablet in the future.

OP
Frankenstein
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, guys! It definitely seems like it's an issue with my phone. It's both my work and personal device and since my original tune/data log, my work added Mobile Device Management to the mix and that could be interfering. I have the tablet so I'll just use that going forward when needed. I'm able to data log, sync files from TDN, and load tunes using my phone, just not send files from the RTD+ to TDN.

OP
Frankenstein
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
I've been doing a little more troubleshooting, trying different settings on the phone to no avail. One thing I noticed is every time I'd try to sync the logs it would start at a slightly higher % than the previous attempt. I just did it about 15 times in a row and it finally succeeded. Good to know in case my tablet dies, I guess.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Sorry to see you're having trouble with TDN, it's very very common.

If you keep having issues and want to try a device that doesn't have these sorts of problems, I use the COBB Accessport. A lot of my new customers have made the switch and love the experience.

No pressure, just here if you need!

OP
Frankenstein
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
Sorry to see you're having trouble with TDN, it's very very common.

If you keep having issues and want to try a device that doesn't have these sorts of problems, I use the COBB Accessport. A lot of my new customers have made the switch and love the experience.

No pressure, just here if you need!
I've heard only good things about Cobb/GooseTuned! I got through my issues but if I ever make a change you'll be my first stop for sure.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I've heard only good things about Cobb/GooseTuned! I got through my issues but if I ever make a change you'll be my first stop for sure.

Good man!! I’m glad you got it taken care of. I totally know what it’s like. And if I can ever help I will.

And thank you!! I appreciate that!

DuncanS

Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Explorer ST
Good man!! I’m glad you got it taken care of. I totally know what it’s like. And if I can ever help I will.

And thank you!! I appreciate that!
Do you know when tuning might be available for the 2025s?