Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Interior chemical smell when sitting in the sun, also seems to be during climate control mixing

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hi Everyone, new to the forum here and have an issue with my ST.

I have a 2022 Explorer ST, and it has two oder issues that may be related.

I first noticed that the AC vent blows a bad smell but only when it's transitioning temperatures, or when the autoengine start/stop is off.
Once blowing cold the smell is gone. I dropped it at the dealer before I realized exactly when the smell happened, and of course they couldn't re-produce it.

I have two vehicles, so sometimes the explore sits for a few days. When it does, there is a very bad chemical smell in the cabin way worse if the car is in the sun, that gives me and other passengers headaches. It's maybe similar to the first smell, but much much stronger. It dissipates quickly with windows open or we get used to it but the headaches tend to remain. If I vent the car with windows open all day, it's fine when I get in it for the 12 hours or so. But then comes back.
I've done a full detail, and ripped every single personal item out of the car. It's definitely from the material in the car somewhere, but I can't pinpoint it.
Anyone else have this issue? How do you get ford to say there's a problem (I have 1 year and 8k miles left of warranty).

Searching on this forum brings up a lot of exhaust smells, but this isn't that.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Have you changed your cabin filter?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I have a chemical smell after getting my windows tinted. Come and goes with the sun.

OP
T
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
I have a chemical smell after getting my windows tinted. Come and goes with the sun.
Bone stock here, so I don't think that's it.