Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

JXB bushing insert

Reactions
You have a pinion bearing that is going out in your differential, same happened to mine after installing the inserts. I replaced the rear diff out with a used 30k mile unit and fixed it. Diff was inexpensive but took about 4-5 hours to replace it.
Is that a common failure on these? Any early symptoms to be aware of?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Is that a common failure on these? Any early symptoms to be aware of?
I have seen a couple posts about people having issues with the rear differential. I'm sure mine was wearing prematurely but only noticed it because of the bushing inserts. The symptom was a grinding sound on deceleration, the fluid that I drained from the bad diff had a lot of metal flake.

hbalek

Reactions
I received word today that my 2020 ST with 54K miles has to have the RDU (Rear Differential Unit?) replaced again after a few thousand miles. The PTU was replaced twice also. Today my service advisor said they think the differential installed a few months ago "had the wrong gear ratio set up." WTF! I still think something with the TSB for the FADA deletion messed everything up.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I received word today that my 2020 ST with 54K miles has to have the RDU (Rear Differential Unit?) replaced again after a few thousand miles. The PTU was replaced twice also. Today my service advisor said they think the differential installed a few months ago "had the wrong gear ratio set up." WTF! I still think something with the TSB for the FADA deletion messed everything up.
Go look at the paper tag on the diff. It’ll clearly say the gear ratio. You should see 3.58.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My 2020 has 96k miles. It would not be surprising if pinion or carrier bearings are showing signs of wear. Still, there is no oil leaking out of pinion or axles which I would expect there would be if bearings were seriously degraded. Also, the noise when off throttle was only noticeable with the JXB inserts...and I believe only those with the double inserts have reported this. I suspect this is because the passenger side insert sits deep into the mount and there is more transmitted NVH of the insert face to the mount collar. Don't plan on jumping the gun and replacing the rear diff but if I do, it doesn't seem like a new one is all that expensive.

hbalek

Reactions
Go look at the paper tag on the diff. It’ll clearly say the gear ratio. You should see 3.58.
It's been in the shop since last week. Luckily it's still under powertrain warranty until Dec. 4. I have extended warranty for 2 more years and 30K miles.

Reactions
Just installed mine this weekend. I noticed more planted shifts. I also noticed more noise from the diff, especially when there is slack in the power (letting off the accelerator while moving). Sounds like a dull grinding or a very deep hum. Anyone else notice increased NVH? Should I be concerned?
I’m getting the exact same symptom when letting off the gas or slack in power.

unfortunately I’m also getting a distinct vibration around 30mph and again around 60mph…taking it in tomorrow to investigate.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I’m getting the exact same symptom when letting off the gas or slack in power.

unfortunately I’m also getting a distinct vibration around 30mph and again around 60mph…taking it in tomorrow to investigate.
Keep us posted. I too have a vibration around 60 then again at 76 mph.