Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

JXB bushing insert

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I just bought a JXB rear diff bushing insert. They have been testing the 3D printed prototype for a few months and now a re selling the production version made from billet aluminum. They have a video of them testing it with and with out diff braces, its very revealing how much a stock setup moves around. Mine has shipped already and should be here on Sat.

https://www.jxbperformance.com/prod...mary&utm_source=order-status&utm_content=name

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Yes a lot of people have installed these already. Should at least help with movement. Anything help.

Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Interested to hear what you think!

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
With this insert, I now have everything available to reduce or stop any movement of the rear diff. I have the steeda pinion support bushings, steeda rear diff brace, whoosh motorsports high strength diff and pinion bolts, and now the bushing insert.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I believe the upgraded whoosh bolt is longer than stock. I wonder if the added thickness with the JXB inserts means the stock bolt will not be threaded into the diff cover as much and if that's going to be a problem.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I believe the upgraded whoosh bolt is longer than stock. I wonder if the added thickness with the JXB inserts means the stock bolt will not be threaded into the diff cover as much and if that's going to be a problem.
Didn't seem to be a problem in their comparison video.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
A lot of people have already installed this combo and I haven’t heard of any problems yet.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
In the video on the JXB site the reuse the stock bolt and report no issues with it.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I wonder what the difference in thread engagement actually is? Especially knowing it’s threaded into an aluminum housing.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
I haven't put mine in yet, but when I do I'll compare the stock bolt to the whoosh and see if the whoosh is longer.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I haven't put mine in yet, but when I do I'll compare the stock bolt to the whoosh and see if the whoosh is longer.
Stock bolt is M14 x 118mm. Looking at what class 12.9 bolts are out there, I'm thinking Whoosh is 120mm. They make up for the difference with a thick lock washer and another thick washer (conjecture). But with that hex head, I'm not sure you can get some extra thread engagement by replacing the lock washer and thick washer with a thinner washer--a thinner washer may not be strong enough.

It stands to reason if the JXB insert has 2-3mm face thickness, you lose 2-3mm in threading of the bolt.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
There’s 2.83” difference in length between a 190mm bolt and a 118mm bolt. I don’t think that’s it. lol

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
There’s 2.83” difference in length between a 190mm bolt and a 118mm bolt. I don’t think that’s it. lol
120mm... typo, sorry.

Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Ford Explorer ST
Added the JXB diff insert and stiffer both yesterday. Easy install, hardest part was getting the bolt torqued with very little room/leverage. (And yes I know the insert text is upside down, didn’t notice until I looked at the pics :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: )

IMG_7343.jpeg

IMG_7346.jpeg

hfrog355

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
What wound up being the verdict on these JXB inserts?

I've got a single bolt setup. From looking at the JXB video comparing various setups, it looks like the bushing insert alone does a very good job of eliminating movement.

1725164690717.png

I think my plan for now would be to install the JXB insert along with the HSF bolt. When I get around to doing a tune and IC, I'd look to add the Steeda brace but for the time being, I would think the insert + beefed up bolt would be adequate for handling stock power output in a car that doesn't get track use, but just a fun DD. Thoughts?

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
What wound up being the verdict on these JXB inserts?

I've got a single bolt setup. From looking at the JXB video comparing various setups, it looks like the bushing insert alone does a very good job of eliminating movement.

View attachment 24905

I think my plan for now would be to install the JXB insert along with the HSF bolt. When I get around to doing a tune and IC, I'd look to add the Steeda brace but for the time being, I would think the insert + beefed up bolt would be adequate for handling stock power output in a car that doesn't get track use, but just a fun DD. Thoughts?
They themselves say that the insert isn’t good enough by itself, although it does help a lot. That being said, I think as long your not launching the car at all this will be perfectly fine.

hfrog355

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Yeah. This is a fun street/daily car. It's not getting seriously launched against a clock, probably ever. Mostly just inducing smiles and keeping the butt dyno entertained. My thinking is that if I can put a bandaid on Ford's shortcoming for a bit, that should mitigate something catastrophic like a bolt shearing and then I can give it some real support when I start adding power.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah. This is a fun street/daily car. It's not getting seriously launched against a clock, probably ever. Mostly just inducing smiles and keeping the butt dyno entertained. My thinking is that if I can put a bandaid on Ford's shortcoming for a bit, that should mitigate something catastrophic like a bolt shearing and then I can give it some real support when I start adding power.
Do it. It's so cheap, I feel It's one of those must-do items. Then as your a 1-bolt, grab a diff brace down the line.

Also, while you're under there, get the Steeda or Fenfab Subframe Bushing Locks. Another cheap, super easy mod that makes a very noticeable difference.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
IMG_0070.jpeg

Can anyone with the double JXB inserts comment on the driver's side (left mount in the picture above) of mine? It sticks out quite a bit more than the passenger side. Torqued to about 140 ft lbs which is about all I could manage laying flat on my back with no real leverage. Just seems odd.

Last edited:

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Was there a difference between the left and right inserts? I see they have different part numbers. It sure doesn't look correct. Have you tried contacting JXB?