Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

K&N Oil Filter

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Does anyone use K&N oil filters? Are there really any significant benefits that justify the price? I was thinking about changing oil every 3K miles and do the filter every 6K using a K&N. Also going to switch over to synthetic oil this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I really like K&N oil filters, especially the ones for my car that can be loosened with a 1" socket, but the cost of these filters for either of my vehicles has increased to beyond what I am willing to pay, even with 10K mile oil change intervals.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Good filters. I believe they are made by Champion. Love the nut for easy removal especially the older I get

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Does anyone use K&N oil filters? Are there really any significant benefits that justify the price? I was thinking about changing oil every 3K miles and do the filter every 6K using a K&N. Also going to switch over to synthetic oil this time.

Drop in filters do nothing for performance, and I wouldn’t buy anything other then the aFe drop in because it’s washable. Any aftermarket option has just gotten too expensive.

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Thread Starter #5
Drop in filters do nothing for performance, and I wouldn’t buy anything other then the aFe drop in because it’s washable. Any aftermarket option has just gotten too expensive.
A washable oil filter?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah but we are talking oil filters here

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Yeah but we are talking oil filters here

I was just saying that the oiled versions wasn’t worth it and the only aftermarket drop in filter that is worth anything is the washable types.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I was just saying that the oiled versions wasn’t worth it and the only aftermarket drop in filter that is worth anything is the washable types.
I agree with that. Wouldn’t run their air filters (AFE here) but I would have no problem running their oil filters.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Been using the K&N oil filter for the first 6 oil changes, 5k miles, and seemed to perform well. I have switched to Fram XG11955 for the last two due to the K&N's price increase. Can get the Fram for about $4 cheaper on Amazon.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Since you guys are talking oil filters, what are your feelings on when to do the first oil change after a new ST purchase?

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Since you guys are talking oil filters, what are your feelings on when to do the first oil change after a new ST purchase?
We’re actually talking about oiled air intake filters, but on your donate subject I always change the oil the first 1k miles and then every 5k miles or 6 months after that.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Who's on first...:ROFLMAO:

For the record, are we talking oiled air filters or oil filters? I still don't know.

Reactions
A bit confused, the thread was about oil filters not air oil/dry filters

OP, never had any issues with K&N oil filters in the past. Usually stick to Wix filters myself but thats personal preference with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Thanks Project Farm!

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
And the moment hits:
IMG_3048.gif
I’m an idiot. Too tired, and misread the first post.

21BlackST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
The only reason I ever used a k&n filter was for the nut on the end. I mostly use wix, it’s reasonably priced, available anywhere and a good aftermarket filter.

21BlackST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
k&n conventional oil filters have a nut on the end of them. That way you can use a regular wrench or socket to take them off. One of my old turbo cars had the oil cooler stuffed right next to the oil filter housing. It was a bitch to get a filter wrench in there. So I used the k&n and a regular box end wrench.

Reactions
As @21BlackST stated. But on the Explorer, they're "drop in" oil filters, probably the reason why you're confused but were great on any other car, made things easier removing the filter.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Does anyone use K&N oil filters? Are there really any significant benefits that justify the price?
No.

Explorer ST Posts