Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

K&N Oil Filter

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Thread Starter #41
I use K&N oil filters on my ATV's. They are not bad and as others have mentioned, having a nut welded to the end of them for easy removal is awesome. The paper oil filter for an ST wouldn't obviously have a metal housing. I would never consider changing my oil and not changing the oil filter along with it. To each is their own but that is not something I would ever do. I do however fall into the 3K mile oil changes like you.
I’m with you on that! I’ve changed my oil filter at 2,500 miles and then the oil and filter at 5,000 miles when using synthetic but never the other way around! I never heard of that. I’m sticking to every 3,000 miles with this vehicle though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BrooseDaMoose

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Thread Starter #42
I’ve shopped around for some other fillers and the prices are all over the place! Rock Auto seems to have the lowest prices and greatest variety. I can’t see choosing a filter by price though. Motorcraft filters are the same as the Fram Ultra Synthetic at $8.40. Wix filters are only $4.84. Purolator are $6.84. I know Motorcraft and Purolator are made by the same company (Mann&Hummel) but may not be the same quality. I’d choose a Wix filter over a Purolator any day! I’m sticking to what I know and going with the Fram filter. I’m sure it will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
From what I have read on the K&N oil filter, some people haven't been happy with the o rings. FWIW