Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Laughing at alignment on Ford's site

Reactions
Vehicle
2025 Explorer ST
I may be wrong, but aren't both the alignment of the lettering on the badge (especially the "X") and the breadcrumbs (especially the "TRIM KITS") off on alignment on the official accessory site? Gave me a laugh.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
I may be wrong, but aren't both the alignment of the lettering on the badge (especially the "X") and the breadcrumbs (especially the "TRIM KITS") off on alignment on the official accessory site? Gave me a laugh.
That is funny. The website is probably just a glitch, but that photo is not. Wonder who did that.

Reactions
Well.. I know a lot about this issue - I was a Program Manager at the company that manufactures these and most other Ford emblems and badges (plus lots for all other domestic & foreign automakers).

The lettering is incased in a black foam liner (carrier) that spaces and positions each letter accordingly. There is clear film over the top visual side of the letters in the foam liner and a white backing liner on the back sticky side of the letters.

The top clear film is sticky on the side that is up against the letters in the black foam liner. This is so that when the white liner is remover for application at the assembly plant, the letters stay in place and in position in the foam liner because they stick to the clear liner. Here is where the issue happens, sometimes when the entire carrier is put into the wet-out machine at the assembly plant and then the white liner is removed, a letter or two, etc. can stick to the white liner instead of staying stuck to the clear liner. Assembly line workers pull off the letters that stuck to the white liner and shove them back into the off foam carrier - If this is not done carefully and miticulously, you will end up with letters crooked on the hood.

It has always been a challenge to find materails that aren't too sticky or not sticky enough to accomplish the assembly task with the clear and white liner material.

IMG_4119.jpg