Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Looking for 500hp, what’s the best plan 2023 ST 3000 miles

Dmousaw

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Just picked up a 2023 ST with 3000 miles. Wanting to get to 500hp and looking for best way to get there. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Looking at Borla exhaust immediately mainly for the sound. What’s the best next step? Thank you.

Attachments

21BlackST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
As what is said above me. Intercooler and custom tune goal achieved.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Tune only won't get you to 500HP easily. Tune plus mixing some E30 will probably get to 500 crank HP, definitely not WHP.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dmousaw

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
What intercooler does the forum like?

21BlackST

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
What intercooler does the forum like?
The cheapest non eBay one you can get. They will pretty much perform the exact same. Cvfab usually is the cheapest and a quality piece.

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
You can get the ZFG Stage-1 which will get you an intercooler and tune. I opted for the CVF and the DMS tune myself. I also added the SPD 3" down pipes. That will get you close.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
Just picked up a 2023 ST with 3000 miles. Wanting to get to 500hp and looking for best way to get there. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Looking at Borla exhaust immediately mainly for the sound. What’s the best next step? Thank you.
Intercooler and tune will get you pretty close to 500 AWHP and definitely more then 500 at the crank. What matters most even more then those numbers is that you will be running a lot better numbers in the 1/4 mile and driving experience will be a lot better. Here’s my modding guide for these cars that will help you decide on what parts you should get:

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/explorer-st-modding-101-guide.7324/

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Intercooler and tune will get you pretty close to 500 AWHP and definitely more then 500 at the crank. What matters most even more then those numbers is that you will be running a lot better numbers in the 1/4 mile and driving experience will be a lot better. Here’s my modding guide for these cars that will help you decide on what parts you should get:

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/explorer-st-modding-101-guide.7324/
I see a lot of guys making 430-450WHP with a tune only, which is not remotely close to 500AWHP with just a tune. I can see closer to 500AWHP with E50, but not without.

Based on this, I should be making well over 500AWHP on 93 with full bolt-ons, less turbos. Not sure as there are not any AWD dynos within 40 miles of me.

As far as performance, I am on the fence with ZFG. Shifting feels the same as stock, and in sport mode, the car jerks horribly when shifting from 1st to 2nd. ZFG said it's normal and the car needs to learn. This was thousands of miles ago.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I see a lot of guys making 430-450WHP with a tune only, which is not remotely close to 500AWHP with just a tune. I can see closer to 500AWHP with E50, but not without.

Based on this, I should be making well over 500AWHP on 93 with full bolt-ons, less turbos. Not sure as there are not any AWD dynos within 40 miles of me.

As far as performance, I am on the fence with ZFG. Shifting feels the same as stock, and in sport mode, the car jerks horribly when shifting from 1st to 2nd. ZFG said it's normal and the car needs to learn. This was thousands of miles ago.
Agree on those numbers.

Have to voice an alternative ZFG opinion. The shifting is way better on mine and in Sport mode the shifts are nice and firm.

Don’t know which I am happier with, the added power or the way better shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Agree on those numbers.

Have to voice an alternative ZFG opinion. The shifting is way better on mine and in Sport mode the shifts are nice and firm.

Don’t know which I am happier with, the added power or the way better shifting.

Glad to hear the shifting is good on yours. I went ahead and changed all fluids, and still getting the sluggish and hard shifts, even driving in normal mode. I think there is a slight improvement over stock, but nothing that I am overjoyed about.

Wondering if I need to add a bunch of other mods, such as bushings, inserts, etc. Already have an AWR diff brace, plus the upgraded bolts from whoosh to help the rear end.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Glad to hear the shifting is good on yours. I went ahead and changed all fluids, and still getting the sluggish and hard shifts, even driving in normal mode. I think there is a slight improvement over stock, but nothing that I am overjoyed about.

Wondering if I need to add a bunch of other mods, such as bushings, inserts, etc. Already have an AWR diff brace, plus the upgraded bolts from whoosh to help the rear end.
Yeah sounds like something isn’t right. The subframe bushings definitely firmed up the ride but don’t think it would affect shifting.

Have you done any data logging? Pretty sure Adam would be able to see what’s going on with the shifting. Maybe try resetting the adaptive learning?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah sounds like something isn’t right. The subframe bushings definitely firmed up the ride but don’t think it would affect shifting.

Have you done any data logging? Pretty sure Adam would be able to see what’s going on with the shifting. Maybe try resetting the adaptive learning?

Did a ton of data logging early on. Added downpipes and intake and he sent a revised tune after about a week of sending in a log. Going to do a log after I bring the car to the dealer for purge valve CEL. One thing that is slow is getting a response from Adam. I am sure he is a busy guy, but a week for a return log or days for an email reply, which is usually very vague and short. I did bring up the trans shifting issues after several logs were sent, and Adam advised the car needs to learn. Again, this was thousands of miles ago.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Did a ton of data logging early on. Added downpipes and intake and he sent a revised tune after about a week of sending in a log. Going to do a log after I bring the car to the dealer for purge valve CEL. One thing that is slow is getting a response from Adam. I am sure he is a busy guy, but a week for a return log or days for an email reply, which is usually very vague and short. I did bring up the trans shifting issues after several logs were sent, and Adam advised the car needs to learn. Again, this was thousands of miles ago.
Yeah, one downside is he is busy.

Sounds like you did plenty of logging for the tune. He may be focused on the engine more than trans. He may have a different set of PIDs to log for transmission. I would reach out to him and specifically mention the shifting and see if he wants to log something different.

Any chance you could drive another ZFG tuned in your area for comparison sake? I kid you not, I immediately noticed a significant improvement in shifting first drive after tune.

I see you’re in Gurnee. You are welcome to drive mine for comparison. I’m south near Plainfield.

Reactions

I switched from zfg to goose and the shifting is a lot smoother. I can’t notice any drop off in power and the accessport is great, very user friendly. Just my opinion.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I switched from zfg to goose and the shifting is a lot smoother. I can’t notice any drop off in power and the accessport is great, very user friendly. Just my opinion.

Nice. Happy to hear that.

I am honestly contemplating going with Goose, as I have heard his tunes are fantastic and customer service is just as good.

Although, I am about $2,500 into ZFG with the tune and intercooler, and updated tune I just sent in.

2020FordRaptor

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150

Most people who have done dyno running some ethonal mix so that’s what I was referring too. Also, I’ve always heard great things about ZFGs tranny tuning, and your tranny fluid is probably low if it’s still like that.

Edit: just saw that you said you did that already. Like others mentioned send him more datalogs and bring it up again. Adam is great.

Last edited:

BrooseDaMoose

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I've had my ZFG tune in and out for different reasons and I notice a big difference each time. Adam has always gotten back to me within 3-4 days with my revisions. That's just me though. Your experience is much different. Not sure why.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST