Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lowering Springs Pros and Cons

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
what are the common socket/wrench sizes needed to install these springs?

I don't want to start pulling stuff off then realize I need a different size socket LOL

Reactions
Vehicle
'20 Raptor, '22 Explorer ST, '14 GT500, '03 F150
For those that have installed the Steeda Springs, did you keep the Front Springs with the Writting upright ? Have seen on some of the install videos that others have mentioned that with other Brands they fit best when the writting was upside down on the front springs?
It has nothing to do with fitment of the springs, it's just how they stamp their name on the spring. Install them how they fit and should be installed, just ignore how the logo is oriented.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer
It has nothing to do with fitment of the springs, it's just how they stamp their name on the spring. Install them how they fit and should be installed, just ignore how the logo is oriented.
Thats what I did when i put them in last week. I was pretty carefully to review how the stock ones were sitting once the hat was off. I really didnt see much of a difference in the orientation of the spring for the "bottom & top" like you do with the rear springs having the big flat section on the bottom side. I put them in "up-right" and even through it does skew slightly towards the strut, once i put the top hat on it was perfect up and down. if i can get it on a lift later this week I will check again as I still need to do an alignment but dont want to do it before if i do happen to need to flip the springs on the struts again.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer
what are the common socket/wrench sizes needed to install these springs?

I don't want to start pulling stuff off then realize I need a different size socket LOL
If you pull up the HSF most recent video for spring install he calls out all the sizes and I made a "shopping" list to have handy already out of the tool box. I'll list what i can remember using.
15mm, 24mm, 21mm, 10mm, 13mm, 18mm
13/16in, t40 and t45 torx
hammer, spring compressor

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I put the eibach's on my 23. I like how it sits now that they have settled and I think the ride is better than stock. I put the steedas on my former 21 and they kept the rake and I thought the ride was too harsh for a daily driver on Cleveland roads.

21 with steeda's
20220420_152445.jpg

23 with eibach's
20240519_175431.jpg

notice the difference in rake, the 21 looks like the back never was lowered.

Reactions
Vehicle
I put the eibach's on my 23. I like how it sits now that they have settled and I think the ride is better than stock. I put the steedas on my former 21 and they kept the rake and I thought the ride was too harsh for a daily driver on Cleveland roads.

21 with steeda's
View attachment 25398

23 with eibach's
View attachment 25400

Forgot about those older gen Edge Sport wheels you put on your old ‘21. Looked good.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

21 with steeda's
View attachment 25398

23 with eibach's
View attachment 25400

I'm debating between these two sets, so I appreciate the photos. Are these shots right after install, or a little time to settle?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
It was after they settled.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Forgot about those older gen Edge Sport wheels you put on your old ‘21. Looked good.
I kept them when I traded in the 21. I plan on using them again when I wear out the pirelli's on my 23, if I have to buy new tires anyway, I'll just put tires on the 22's

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer
i know theres been a few that have seen with instances where either the front or back really doesnt change height across multiple spring brands. I just did the Steeds on my 21 last week and theres a def change in both front and back, rake is there but slightly. Before and after PXL_20240605_194151859.MP.jpg PXL_20240917_185853082.MP.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
i know theres been a few that have seen with instances where either the front or back really doesnt change height across multiple spring brands. I just did the Steeds on my 21 last week and theres a def change in both front and back, rake is there but slightly. Before and after View attachment 25402 View attachment 25403
Are those the newer Platinum wheels powder coated? Looks kind of neat.